CLM's 2007 MNC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tuckerman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Look, the stars aligned perfectly for us in '07, so what... Sure, a team has to be talented to win; however, there has to be some amount of luck for ANY team to win the MNC. Big deal, we also had 2 losses, both of which were in 3 OT. It's not like we were blown out in those games.

I'm not surprised that a Bama fan would come on our board and tell us we were "fortunate" to have won it. I am surprised that our own fans continue to say things to detract from it.

:geauxtige

2. TigerTime

TigerTime Founding Member

Nick Saban took a program mired in mediocrity (at best) and turned it into a perennial contender in the SEC. You can hate the guy all you want because he wound up at Bama, but our status for the past several years is the direct result of Saban. Period. For that I will always be grateful. We all knew Saban had NFL dreams when he came here. We can't hate the guy for following through on them after he won the ultimate prize at this level.

Yes, Les was given the keys to a damn fine bus. He's been driving the bus pretty well for the past few years. The question now becomes is the bus starting to run out of gas? I believe next season will answer that question. The bus will either run out of gas, or Miles will fill the tank back up and keep on driving. We shall see. You own it now Les.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Try telling that to Ohio St.
    Best team won.

4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

a fundamental difference i find myself at odds with others is the talent pool that was here when saban got here.

he didn't get here with no players, dinardo did a good job recruiting but coached them into the ground and made bad hires (tepper) and stood by his assts when he probably should've shown them the door.

although LSU had bad years in 98 and 99 they were preseason top 5 in 98 and much of that had to do with talent.

this place wasn't the college football wasteland it's made out to be by bama fans and some LSU fans when saban took over.

however saban elevated this program from good to elite.

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Wrong. Oklahoma was lucky to be in there. They lost to K-State prior to the NC. It should have been USC vs. LSU in that game.

And there is no doubt we lucked into it in 2007. Gary Danielson took the "we didn't lose in regulation" argument to new heights and it somehow caught fire. What happened that year will never happen again (WVU blowing it, and didn't the #1 and #2 teams lose on the same weekend?). We were the first 2-loss team to ever make it to the NC, and that was after losing our last home game to Arky.

I'm glad we got there and won, but the 2003 NC for me is the one to really be proud of. That team got better and better as the season went on. That was an amazing defense and an amazing game.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Look, I realize that OU was lucky to be there, but they were GOING to be there. The media made sure of it. Of course, they didn't deserve to be in that game. But we had to live with the roll of the dice, too, because we lost to a much-inferior Florida team in Tiger Stadium that year.

I'm proud of both of our NC's this decade. Frankly, I'm very tired of people pi$$ing all over the '07 one because Les Miles was our coach. If it was still Saban, I'll bet the Miles haters would find it acceptable, even with the two losses.

I'm not defending Miles for that bone-headed display of stupidity on Saturday, but I'm sick of the discounting our one of our three NC's.

7. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

guy's love him or hate him the fact is miles is arguably the worst coach in the SEC...if i had to give him a grade overall since he has been here it would be a "C" for average so do we pay a C coach 4 million a year for being average. ok he is a good recruiter but thats not hard when louisiana produces more D-1 talent than any other state per capita and with texas next door like i said its not hard to recruit at LSU..every team he has coached here has underperformed...this 2009 squad has not played well this entire season but we still have a had a chance to win every game if we had better coaching...

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Oh please. We lost, what, 17-7 to Florida in the 6th week of the schedule? We won out, beating #17 AU, #15 Ole Miss, and blew out #5 UGA in the SECCG after beating them earlier that year when they were ranked #7. There was no doubt we were in. It was the fall out due to OU getting in that caused the "split" title with USC. USC people will tell you we should have played them, rather than OU.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this!

between that, and saying recruits should go elsewhere and players should just pack it in boggles my mind.

to me, that seems to be wanting the program to go into the toilet. no thank you.

i want to be proud of what the program has accomplished and keep fighting for more.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm sick and tired of people saying Miles won with Saban's players.

If they were really Saban's players a lot of them would have followed him to Bama, but guess what? none of them did because they went to LSU. They wanted to go to LSU no matter who recruited them.

And Miles coached them...Best coaching job ever in '05. You know when he took the team to a #5 ranking despite Katrina. Despite the fact that probably 1/3 of the team was from the devastated areas of the state. Despite the fact that a lot of players lost everything they had. Despite the fact that many players lost some of their beloved family members.

Yea that year he inherited some starters from the previous year. But the next year he won with back ups that HE coached. And the next year he won with players who were so buried in the depth chart that they got minimal reps, if any at all, when Saban was coach...and guess who coached and developed them? Saban? No he was at Alabama and would have been fired if he secretly drove to Baton Rouge and held workouts with Miles' Players.

Miles won with HIS palyers no matter which year you're talking about.

I'm not high on Kool Aid, I just am a realist with 20/20 vision and no agenda.