clock management still an issue

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mach316, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Your correct with the exception of the play calling at the end of the 1st half really wasn't that conservative. Actually having JJ pass the ball down the field was quite risky, especially considering his overall performance all season. It did turn out to be, what I consider the changing point in the game. We may not have scored, but it gave JJ the confidence to come out in the 2nd half to throw the ball and throw it effectively.

2. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

He was 10 - 13 for the day and a chunk of yards. JJ had a very good outing. I must say I was proud of him.

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

I did not bring up this subject, but I will comment on it, not to be negative, but to clarify things.

There was an error made with clock management at the end of the first half. It was 3rd and 1, and we ran the ball and got a first down at midfield with 2 timeouts left. After we get the first down, there are 10 seconds on the clock. We should have called timeout, attempted to get 15 to 20 yards on a pass play, and then called the second timeout if we did complete the pass. Instead, we snapped the ball at 4 seconds, and after the completed pass time expired.

It is my opinion that the OC should have told Coach to call a timeout after we converted on the 3rd and 1. It was also the opinion of other people who were in the stands with me.

I am a Miles supporter, and always have been. It is clear to me that we need a strong OC who can take on this responsiblility for CLM.

FYI: I am the one who was yelling "fear the hat!"
    GEAUX TIGERS!

1 person likes this.
  4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

There is no requirement that all timeouts get used in a half. In fact, it is better to have them and not use them than it is to not have any and need them.

This whole thread is BS.

Let it go. There were no clock management issues.

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i haven't read this whole thread so i don't know if someone else has mentioned it, but i didn't have an issue with the way the first half ended especially on where we started the drive and how much time was left.

my biggest issue was a play where we clearly needed to run clock and JJ snapped it with just below 20 seconds on the play clock. neither QB did that again after that one play but it was noticeable. was probably the difference btwn having to make 2 first downs to kill the clock instead of just one and punting.

but it didn't matter.

6. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

That was my bigger issue as well. The two timeouts in the 1H was upsetting, but not horrible. When we had the ball with about 5 minutes left in the game & clearly needed to run the clock out & we were snapping the ball with anywhere from 10-20 seconds left on the play clock, that was infuriating.

When Lee got in the game, he snapped the ball right at one second. JJ was snapping it early.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And this happens only at LSU, right?

A lot of coaches don't have clock management issues because they are rarely in a position to win or lose a game at the very end.

8. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

It really bothers me that a lot of people here are spelling "a lot" "alot".

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

or a muffed punt, fumble, interception, missed block, runner slipping, punt or kickoff returned for a touchdown, qb sack, etc ad nauseum. Get a grip dude.

10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

So wait.. for the record, instead of reading people saying "He used all the timeouts!", I'm reading people posting "He didn't use enough timeouts!"... classic.

As far as Saturday, I have no problem with his decision. Suppose he throws Jefferson (who up to that point wasn't having his best game) in there to try to get a play in before the half and it's picked off? Or he fumbles? Yeah.. there's a confidence builder for him.

He decided we were close enough to Bama score-wise to play conservative and go into the locker room to make the adjustments that WON THE FREAKIN GAME!... No need to be greedy.