Clock managment isn't that hard, is it? Jets/Vikings game

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 11, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My head hurts so much from watching head coaches/offensive coordinators just so out of touch when it comes to clock management.

22-20 Jets. Vikings no timeouts left.

1st and 10 Jets. Their own 35 yard line. 2:47 to go.

Keep in mind it's a 40 second play clock in the NFL.

I'm talking to my friend telling him that the Jets need to be careful here and make sure whatever offensive play they run takes up about 7 seconds so that the clock runs down to 2 minutes. Basically, do not just run it up the gut, the refs are going to start the 40 second clock really quick.

Sure enough, the Jets run LT up the middle for no gain. The 40 second clock starts at 2:42 (that's how quick the Jets got stopped on the play).

Dumbasses.

The Jets basically could have taken the clock all the way down to just under 30 seconds and punted. The Vikings would have had the ball with about 20 seconds to go with no timeouts at about their own 20 yard line.

Luckily for them, Brett Favre is an old dumbass who threw a pick 6 to effectively end the game.

2. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Or... Give them 2 minutes, blitz everbody every play, and get a pick 6. Whatever works. They are playing Favre. That's just good scouting.

3. islstl

They just knew, didn't they?

And I did put the reverse mojo on him. :eek:

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was waiting for Mike Tirico to mention Les Miles, I'm glad he didn't. I like Mike Tirico now.

5. islstl

I was shocked that any of those knuckleheads noticed it.

Steve Young ripped into the Jets for it post game. There is a cerebral man that gets it all the time.

All it took was for Brett Favre to hit a wide open Percy Harvin in the flat and it was history. Vikings win in improbably comeback thanks to botched up clock management by the Jets. That should have been the headline. But then again, we are talking about the choke artist Brett Favre.