Clue me in. Who is the rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LawAg03, May 3, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

For the last few years Auburn has been our biggest rival but Auburn's biggest rival will always be Alabama. Arkansas dosen't have an instate rivalry with anybody and they probably want to beat us as much as they want to beat anybody. The fact that the game with the Pigs is the last regular season game and the last few years has been a make or break game for both thems adds to the rivalry. Tennessee's biggest conference rivary for years has been Alabama but the last few years the Tennessee - Florida game has been huge. Florida's biggest rival is Florida State out of the SEC but the annual Florida - Georgia game in Jacksonville is big and will mean a lot in the coming years with the way the Bulldogs have started to rise to national prominance.

The way I look at is it is that our biggest rival is whoever we are playing that particular week. We certainly don't need a rivalry with some team that no matter how bad they are in any one year it would make their season by beating us. Oklahoma State has been a very mediocre team but they have put it all together for their last game and beaten Oklahoma the last 3 years in a row. Everybody Notre Dame plays every year makes the Irish that teams biggest rival for that week. If Saban takes the Tigers to the next level of competing for the National Championship year in and year out every team we play will gear up to beat us the way they do for Miami or Notre Dame or the way they did for Florida State or Nebraska until their programs started to slide in recent years. If that happens it would only mean that we are doing something right. As of right now our biggest rival is Arizona. Thats our first game. Win that one and win each week after that and rivalries will take care of themselves.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

wouldn't it be ULM right now and not Arizona. ULM got moved to before the Arizona game.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU's rival is whoever stands between us and the SEC championship. It was Ole Miss in the fifties and sixties, Alabama in the seventies and eighties, Florida in the nineties and right now it is Auburn.

Arkansas...not a big rivalry yet.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Arkansas' biggest rival is the dentist.

Miss St's biggest rival is balancing the check book.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I would have to say Arkansas is our biggest rival at the moment. We play them at the end of the year, for a nice trophy (The Boot) and the game always seems to have conference title implications. Auburn would be a close second, but they already have Alabama.

I still consider Tulane a rival, but it's gonna die unless we play them every year in every sport, including football. If twelve game schedule is here to stay, I say play Tulane every year. Also, bring back Texas A&M, that once was pretty heated and it could be again. My non-conference schedule would be Tulane and Texas A&M every year, plus one solid non-BCS program and one cream-puff, both at home. That would give us seven home games and preserve all our great rivalries.

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

was A&M but our old backward ass admin. screwed that up. Right now I think its auburn. the students hate them, then i would say ole piss, ark., florida., tulame.

7. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Students definitely hate Auburn, but we hate Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Texas, Florida. Just about everybody!!!

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tulane hasn't been a rival for decades. We would only consider a Four-lane university for a rival.

9. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

All of the games seem just as intense, but Auburn at night just seems to be a little more intense.

10. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

I think we have no real rival. We play Arkansas always in the last game of the season for "The Boot". Big woop, althought that games has had so significance as of late. Auburn I don't consider a true rival but I guess this would be the team that we hate the most. Our two rivals we did have are no longer. Tulane was one for years and years but well money talks and it was not profitable to play them every year. A&M was a great rivaly for a long time but the former AD screwed our relations up with A&M and the game is no more. Thanks Joe Dean, good job. The aggies are still pissed at us. I have herd thought that the current administration-Skip and Saban are trying to work out a deal with the aggies to play them again.