Coach Howland Comments

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Apr 2, 2006.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I watched some of the post game press conference. Coach Howland was very complimentary of the Tigers and what they faced the past six months. A class act indeed.

Some of his comments were quoted in an Advocate article:

Leading the Bruins back to the national championship game was just a little bittersweet for UCLA coach Ben Howland.

But Howland said the victory was difficult for him as well considering the empathy he has for Louisiana in wake of Hurricane Katrina.

“The real tough part for me is that we beat LSU,” Howland said. “They have a great team, a very well-coached team. I really feel for all those people. We do as a community at UCLA as we do in southern California, the state of California, for all the Katrina victims. I’ve known a lot of people from our area that have gone (to Louisiana) and tried to help.

“As happy as I am about winning, if we were to lose, I would want to lose to no other team than LSU, especially with everything the state of Louisiana has gone through this year.”

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agree. Very nice things to say.

It's interesting, b/c for those that follow basketball closely, I can remember when Howland was hired at UCLA. It was somewhat of controversial pick. Although Howland was a guy with Southern CA roots, he played a "boring style" at Pitt. UCLA was used to high scoring, offensive teams. He recruited well out the gates, but some would have said in the last year or two UCLA was starting lose some of its luster (i.e., some CA recruits were decommitting to UCLA and go elsewhere). Last night, I don't know how many times they said Howland brought the "east coast style of defense and added west coast athletes" and how that resulted in wins.

Then, you look at Brady. Same style of play. Tough defensively, a guy that emphasizes defense and rebounding. Not the most charming of demeanors (I will admit that Howland is probably a little better with the media). There are core similarities here that we should be cognizant of and have faith in here. The only difference I think here last night is that UCLA went 10 deep with a more balanced team, and they had good guards set the tone early by jumping on our guards.

With this, though, I feel good about where Brady is headed with this program. Good defense wins. Brady's learning things as he goes about what it takes to get here, relate to his players. We add more depth and athletes on the perimeter, hopefully Glen and Tyrus come back knowing that they'll have more ammunition for next year's run. This painful loss will breed hunger and tournament experience.

:geauxtige LSU! :champs: '06-07. LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE PART OF THE MAGIC IN THE PMAC!!!

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Well, I know I usually pull for the SEC when it comes to post season, but I just can't pull for Florida--especially with that prick, Noah, running his mouth so damn much...Plus, Noah is one of the cockiest players I've ever heard give a Final Four interview...

I'm pulling for UCLA come Monday night....To hell with Noah and Florida.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

You won't be alone. I'll be pulling for the Bruins for the reasons you mentioned and more.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Agreed. Plus, if a team is going to kick LSU's ass, it might as well be the team that takes it all.

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

By default, I'd pull for the SEC. I don't go to BR for any games, and I have not seen the Gator fans in person, so I haven't seen the bad stuff some of you have seen. Could it be that they have great fans and some bad fans, like all teams do, including LSU? I suppose.

I work with a guy who is a Ga. fan, and he says Fl. fans are the worst. Some support for that position from a non-LSU perspective. Course that's a hot rivalry.

I guess I'll be ambivalent about the game, if Fl. wins, it enhances the prestige of the SEC. If UCLA wins, they have probably demonstrated more class of late. I also work with a lady graduate of UCLA, and she says USC is the rich kids school, and UCLA is the everyman's school in LA. I have to congratulate her on Monday.

I'm ok either way.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Oh, my opinion has very little to do with the Florida fans themselves but rather their player (Noah) and his comments/attitude.

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Me as well. Go UCLA!!!! Always loved Bruins basketball. Have them going all the way in my brackets.