Coach Miles' Message (Deserved it's own thread)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Eq4bits

Eq4bits (Deep East) Texas Tiger

I was driving thru and stopped for gasoline in Tuscaloosa last year the day of their Spring game... it was horrendous... estimates were 90k in attendance ... lines at the pumps were reminiscent of the oil crunch days...

1 person likes this.
  2. Lukky Lou

Lukky Lou Founding Member

Spring Ball games always resemble a HS atmosphere, for whatever reasons and you can take your pick.

PA system and atmosphere

Half-filled arena and restrictions on seating

The lack of a quality program, usually hastily thrown together

The lack of adrenaline and hustle from our Tigers to avoid injuries

WE KNOW IT ISN'T REAL AND IT'S OK!

It's just a strategy of cost-saving that is for the good of the Program and we can live with the AD's decision to do a half-baked job on this game every year. $$$

The tickets are the right price, so all who cannot afford to see the Tigers on a fall Saturday night can get in and see the show after making a day of it on Campus.

For me annually, it has been difficult to become really excited about this game, especially having made many of the practices.

However, this year, with the promise of seeing the crystal again and the ignition of Death Valley into total Thunder after a miraculous season and another :crystal:. It's something special, no doubt.

Another chance to see the heroes of 2007 with a stadium mostly filled is too much to not get excited about.

Another chance to see a team that could repeat :crystal:

We're gonna be pumped up and we hope that the crowd there will somewhat resemble a big-game atmosphere. Everyone needs to yell like they got a pair, and when they do, I wanna smell Bourbon, baby!

2 people like this.
  3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I don't see why people are so anti spring game. :rolleye33: It's one more chance to watch LSU football. What could be better than that?

1 person likes this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I suspect, fans that don't like attending spring games want to see more of the team winning games than they do the time to watch individual players and see their progression.

Some things you can't walk out of a spring game knowing. As example, with QB's so often wearing no-contact jersey's you can't get a good feel on how they'll respond in the pocket under pressure. On the other hand, you can get a good idea on how those players in the trenches are coming along. As example, there is a battle right now with two players and our right tackle spot on the OL. Both of those kids have gained weight and bulked up since last spring. One, a good 20 lbs since the fall season.

You can get a pretty decent read on the defensive backfield as well. If I were an LSU fan I would be watching the LB'er corps and how they are doing with their pursuit angles, etc.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

roids? :)

6. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

I agree. I coach a local team and like to look at match ups. The WR/CB match ups should be interesting. I want to see if we can hold our own speed and technique wise against some of the best in the country. With all the turn ove in the secondary, I want to see if Eugene is really the athlete he was coming out of high schoo.

1 person likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

That's one of the reasons I mentioned the LB'ers. We spent 55-60% of the time in nickel packages (some dime) and the two ILB'ers have been working a lot with our secondary this year in pass coverage drills. With our Will/Money LB'er just being moved to the defensive side of the ball it's going to be interesting watching how he handles slot receivers, TE's and RB's.

Another position that is impossible to get a feel for in spring ball is the kickers. They can be hot in the spring, kick all summer, and come in with a dead leg in the fall. Of course, the opposite of that is true as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

With the coming of the "spread" offense, I think the teams who do that well will be the most successful.

Question to anyone, I've seen the term "Hybrid LBer" used. I know it's been used to refer to the DE who drops back in a 3-4 but is it becoming more widely used to define the "Type" of Linebackers needed to defend the passing game in general- as applied to middle LBer's too?

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I've yet to see, or more precisely know, of a situation when it is used in the interior linebacking corps.

While I agree with you that the ILB'ers play a crucial role in defending a spread offense I don't see it as being the crucial spot. In games where I've seen the spread defended well the players I see making a difference are those playing the "Star" position in the defensive backfield. (that 5th DB added in a nickel)

Quite frankly, and I'm digressing a bit in the context of this thread, I have no more concern for a spread offense than I do a power I. The same principles apply with all of them. If you get pressure, consistently, on a QB in a spread offense it will disrupt the rhythm of the game completely. That, and LB'ers and DB's who tackle well in the open field and it's just another offense.

The success Meyer has had with his spread option and the success RichRod had with Pat White were dependent on having that QB. You don't find a Tebow or a Pat White type player in abundance. That brings me to Paul Johnson. If there is one thing to watch there is who he is able to bring in for that position.

10. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

I agree with your "bring pressure" concept with one exception: The teams that are successful against the spread are the ones that can bring pressure with their front seven. In today's defensive world it would be the front six. The nickel is used as a base defense these days. The reason we were so successful was the fact that our front 4 could bring pressure in most instances leaving our backers and backs in coverage. On the offensive side, our ability to move in and out of formations and not show run or pass was a big advantage. That's why we recruit that RB that can perform all the duties (block, catch, and run with power). That way we don't telegraph what we are doing on offense.