Coach Miles' Message (Deserved it's own thread)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I don't agree that a nickel can't shut down a spread. In '05 Bama played TTU in a nickel package and shut them down, completely. Georgia, played their basic 4-3 this past year against UF and won. Pitt, when they shut down WVU, played a variety of looks and had a lot of success.

Now, you mentioned being so successful bringing 6 against a spread but Florida completed close to 70% of their 3rd down conversions last season when you two played. The difference in that game was the ability to run the football against their defense which falls in line with your closing thoughts, but those don't really apply to stopping a true spread offense.

Arkansas's "wildcat/hogwild/whatever" offense was a version of a spread and 6 and 7 in the box didn't stop it. No one could contain the QB in the formation.

2. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

I never understood how we couldn't stop Arkansas in the wildhog. We knew what was coming yet couldn't stop it. The only reason I could come up with was our backers were taking bad angles and going for McFaddens fake and getting caught up inside. That formation was way too successful against us. It essentially was a telagraghed play. There are different ways to beat the spread but it all comes down to execution and matchups.

Heading to the baseball game. talk at you later

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I agree, seems like I remember that being the case with us against Ky. Woodson getting rid of it quickly and us not being able to get to him.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

ESPECIALLY this year, after we'd seen it/played against it before.