Coach O headed to Tennessee

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Dec 31, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah I can see the appeal of Hughes, but I don't know if he has any credentials to be our DB coach.

And it's not like we need help in recruiting.

2. TigerBait45

TigerBait45 Founding Member

You can't go wrong with Vance Joseph and he should be the first choice, but if it came to it I wouldn't be disappointed in Hughes

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I hear LSU offered 600K and he was sold but LSU will in no way offer anymore than that.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That was too much to begin with.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Holy sh!t. Now THAT'S funny!!!:rofl:

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You know, I never was really excited about Orgeron coming here in the first place.

-As for recruiting, his greatest prowess and reputation as a recruiter was when he was at USC. The recruits wanted to go to the university there more than they wanted to be coached by O. USC had more to do with his success than he did. Does anyone think Steve Spurrier is as good at attracting recruits at South Carolina as he was at Florida? I think Orgeron is overrated some as a recruiter. I'm not worried about him recruiting against us. He would have done real well here because he would have been convincing recruits to come to LSU. Henson at LSU will out recruit Orgeron at Tennessee.

- You can argue that Orgeron's personal problems with anger and domestic abuse etc. happened a long time ago. It's an argument I'll personally buy because I believe in forgiveness and in some peoples ability to change thier behavior. But his legal problems are still there, they really happened, and some other people never learn. Who knows which camp Orgeron belongs to? Even if he belongs to the first group, I think someone like Meyer or Saban would readily play the trump card of O's public record to parents of recruits.

- We just hired (allegedly, at this point) an exciting new DC in coach Chavis. Let's let him form his own coaching team by retaining or bringing in HIS own people. Having an independent minded coach on your staff that earns more than you do and may, for that matter, disagree with your decisions is not something I'd like at all if I were Chavis.

- As a Tiger for life, I want someone with loyalty to the university and the fanbase to be on the staff; loyalty like that which coach Miles proved when Michigan came courting him. There is no doubt in my mind now that had coach O been in Miles' shoes he would have bolted and tried to take every recruit he could with him. He left LSU after one practice as a player and now as a coach after not even one practice (assuming the rumors of his acceptace of LSU's offer are true).

I'm not trying to bash coach Orgeron and this is not sour grapes. I'm sure he's making his decision based on what's best for him and his family. I wish him good luck. But I don't think LSU is losing very much here.
    -

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The paper today said that Yaw-Yaw was concerned that this last-minute switch would be burning his bridges with LSU because being head coach at LSU someday was his "dream job".

I smell burned bridges . . .

1 person likes this.
  8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yep, and the rubble is still smoking.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

No way he ends up at LSU in any capacity now, he more than burned bridges. I find it hard to believe that Tennessee is going to pay him close to 1 million to be a position coach. He had a first rate offer from LSU that would keep him at home and he bolted from Tiger Town yet again. He's done........Tiger bait.

1 person likes this.
  10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

This also explains one of the main reasons he may have chosen Tennessee.

Lane Kiffin's effectiveness as a head coach is a very unproven thing. He benefits from a very recognizable "brand" that Monty Kiffen, not Lane Kiffen, built. Lane Kiffin was wholly ineffective as an NFL head coach and the fact that USC showed no significant changes in overall offensive productivity both before and after his time there tends to indicate that perhaps his effectiveness as an assisstant coach may also be overblown.

All of this is eerily similar to Jim Mora, Jr. Are they good coaches or do they get more mileage than they deserve based on the proven reputations of their fathers?

At any rate, the one thing we do know is that Lane Kiffin is brash and cocky and (in his mind) he thinks he is the best rising coach ever. In his interviews surrounding his hiring at Tennessee, he paints himself as hanging the moon in terms of coaching and that Tennessee is lucky to have hired him. If he does not back up his bragging with winning records, it'll be interesting how long the Volunteer nation puts up with his schtick.

In that light, Orgeron puts himself in a very good position to become UT's next head coach. As go the fortunes of Lane Kiffin, so will go the fortunes of Monty Kiffin. Personally, I give Lane Kiffin a maximum of three years to produce on the field results. If he bombs early, he'll be there for a shorter period of time than that.