Coach O

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

If O is kept to seasons end Scott's job is to manage O to leave and help the program on the way out. Dangle a little money and not use off the field issues perhaps?

2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Not real sure. I know if Ed gets caught attempting to sabotage or recruit negativity against LSU, it will cost him big time in negotiations/litigation.

Hopefully the reality is that whoever our next coach will be, is worried about his current teams playoff run, so LSU’s season will be over much sooner than whoever our next coach’s will.

Austin Thomas will have his work cut out for him on retaining both current players and recruits.

There will definitely be some fallout, but hopefully the next hire is so exciting it will minimize the fallout and create a buzz around the program that is very much needed to get players and recruits bought back in and excited about the future.

Hou-duco and Brian like this.
  3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Don't drink. Had to get my wife to the airport.

4. Brian

Brian Founding Member

It's been a long known idea O didn't want anyone strong on staff in a position of leadership that could do to him what he did to Les. He's always been insecure even when he was appearing changed that much we knew. All of his failures can be traced back to him being aware of his flaws after Ole Miss.. and yet still giving in to them.

rockwallfan and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

After taking my wife to the airport I need to drink.

TigerFan90 likes this.
  6. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Woodward has a lot to think about.
    1. Fire mid season or after the season? If you fire mid-season, who becomes interim coach? If the team rallies around him do you set up a situation similar to 2016 where the team bonded with Orgeron creating a push to name that person as the permanent replacement.
    2. How long are you willing to wait after terminating Ed to name a replacement? 2 of the best candidates discussed on this board (Fickell & Riley) are coaching teams which may make it to the CFB playoff (Dec 31) with the championship game on Jan 10. Even if they agreed to come to LSU, neither would want an announcement until after their last game. It's hard to imagine that if their teams make it to the playoffs that they would bail on their teams, so we may become just an negotiating ploy.
    3. If Ed is fired after the season (last game Nov. 27.) there is only a little more than 2 weeks till the early signing date on Dec.15. Would we want to announce a replacement coach before then?

7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

If the sordid and ugly off the field fireable offenses are true I would use that as a negotiating tool to leave in a way to help keep as many players as possible and not disparage the university. Woodard needs to get tough.

8. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

That’s quite the predicament Woodward is going to find himself in.

Most likely this years recruiting class won’t stay in tact 100% regardless, so I’d imagine he would sacrifice the early signing period to ensure he gets the right guy.

If they do have to sacrifice the early signing period, the new coach could always leave a back door open for a handful of his current players who have eligibility left to transfer and follow him to LSU or just shop the portal period. The new coach is going to want to recruit around his philosophy anyway, which means some of the guys committed may not fit the schemes and get processed.

Be prepared for the 22 recruiting class to fall apart (out of the top 5 but not out of the top 25 or even 20) we will bounce back once the new staff is in place.

I have bigger concerns missing on available coaches waiting on the CFP coaches and then ending up with someone we didn’t want originally if they turn us down. That’s a much more scary scenario, but it is what it is. But, hopefully the guys Woodward is going after would only leave their current jobs for a job like LSU so that’s not too big of a deal.

Hou-duco and kluke like this.
  9. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Hallman years for certain. I sat in the rain watching those shit sticks go 3-8 . I was drunk but I was there

10. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Refusing to go ‘headless’ part of Baby Hueys distraction with the ladies perhaps? But I digress

tzanghi likes this.