Coach Slocum has been fired from Texas A&M

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by chuck, Dec 2, 2002.

1. chuck

chuck Founding Member

not sure if this belongs on the smack board or not, I just thought you folks would be interested . .

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I just heard. But I still dont expect Coach Fran to leave. As much of an ass that guy made of himself to Saban and how I have soured on him a bit from a point of conducting himself like and SEC coach. He is a very good one, and wins everywhere he goes.

I think he is going to do what Saban did last year. Use the rumors to collect a few more coins.

3. chuck

chuck Founding Member

It . .

will be very interesting to see what happens.

My thing with Fran has always been that he may have felt he was not told the whole truth about the NCAA stuff with Bama and that has disgruntled him a bit.

He is at a peak in his career right now, I doubt Bama is capable of having another 10 win season in the next 5 years b/c of probation, that will hurt him as a coach. He could then risk the bama faithful turning on him . .

I don't know . .it will just be interesting . .

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

As always chuck you make good points.

5. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I know for the past hour....

all of the Bama and A&M sites have been on Total Meltdown.....I been trying to log on and its takes forever for the front page for their site to come up....I think its funny as hell

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Story on ESPN Radio about an hour ago

mentioned some kind of "emergency meeting" being put together in Hawaii where the BAMA team plane has yet to leave. Just some more wild speculation to stir the pot I suppose. Could be something to it though.

7. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Chuck, I think you hit the nail on the head in that Alabama probably didn't tell Franchione the entire truth about how far their cheating went.

I think Franchione's a goner & he's A&M bound. JMO.

8. chuck

chuck Founding Member

something to consider

It is Texas state law that any University position has to be open for at least 10 days before a replacement is announced. The coaching job at A&M falls into this category. Therefore, we will not hear anything final until late next week.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Pitiful.

I hope Texas A&M never wins another football game EVER!

Fourteen years, an overall record of 123-47-2, four conference titles, a BCS bowl, and a lifetime of obsessive, at times mindless, devotion and obedience to Texas A&M University, and this is how he is rewarded?

I don't care if the next coach is Dennis Franchione or whoever. The Aggie football program has just ruined itself. The bar has been set so unbelievably high that no coach of good repute will go there, knowing the Aggie faithful expect nothing less than a national title every year.

I just can't believe how big people's heads have gotten in College Station. Once upon a time Texas A&M was nothing but a scout team for Texas and LSU. R.C. goes to a few Cotton Bowls and now they think they can win it all every year. What a crock!

You think LSU put a curse on itself after shabbily disposing of Cholly Mac? You ain't seen nothing yet. This will be ten times worse. Enjoy your long exile in the wilderness of losing Aggies! Even good ol' Coach Fran won't be able to save you. Annual four-touchdown beatings at the hands of Texas and OU are about to become your two newest traditions.

I'm glad Coach Slocum conducted himself with class in his reaction, as he always does. He's a great coach, and he will land on his feet.

As for Coach Fran, well, after the incident following this year's Alabama game, I don't have much to say.

10. Tuwho?

Tuwho? Banned Forever

Actually he wasn't fired but rather Re-assigned to be an advisor to the President of Texas A&M so does this in fact skirt the 10 day firing rule in Texas? Slocam will keep his salary and benefits as part of the reassignment.