Coach Slocum has been fired from Texas A&M

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by chuck, Dec 2, 2002.

1. chuck

chuck Founding Member

it's

still a new job opening . .so I would assume yes

2. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

5 years 14 million dollars vs. 2 years of probabation and who knows what else is lurking behind the scenes.. Giggum Aggies

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Chump Francis will get all he can out of this. He has bama where he wants them, over a barrel. If he stays he will get guarunteed
    money if he stays and a lot of it. Bama will pay out the @$$ to keep him or they will have to take dubose back.

4. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

The First Report that I saw

Had Houston Nutt as a Candidate. When I saw he had been fired in this thread I was shocked I never thought A&M would fire a longtime Aggie. I was glad to see that he was re-assigned that made me feel better about what the Aggies did to Slocum. I think a change was needed to much bad press will hurt the program.

5. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Alabama will never pay the money that it would take. It is the tradition of coaching at Alabama that is why a coach should be there in the first place and not the money.

PBJ (Paul Bear Bryant JR) is running the show down there. They have the money and have just extended Malfunction Moore (AD) to 3 more years as AD. He is the one that allowed and then turned his back on all of the inproprieties to occur to get them on probation. Where there is smoke there is fire. Coach Macaroni knows this and would be crazy to stay around with this good ole boy network still in place.

I have been impressed with Coach Fran and he seems to be a smart man. You think the Alabama fans will look at probation as the cause when he goes 6-5 or 7-4 the next 3 years. NO WAY! It will be his fault and he will get the blame.

Football coaches are blamed they aren't loyal. Well loyalty is a 2 way street. I hope he gets the 14 million and Alabama will be searching for another good ole boy to take over the program.

Look at the history of coaches since Bryant... Perkins quit, Curry was run out of town because he was an outsider, Dumbbose was run out because he couldn't coach... even though he won the SEC the year before.

Oh how the tide is about to turn.. again and I am lovin it!!!

6. WF TIGER

WF TIGER Founding Member

Maybe R.C. is ready to step down and take a position at the university other than football coach. Could this be a plan that was worked out by A&M and R.C.?

7. Goodlifetiger

ESPN has a story on this. R. C. said he was fired as head coach. He has been reassigned as special advisor to Pres. I cann't see A&M firing RC unless they had something working. If they hired Nutt they would have to be drinking all that oil over there in Texas instead of selling it.

8. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I just wanted to give my opinion on this whole deal.

I honestly don't think CDF is gone. I think he will probably stay and sign the contract. However, I don't think that CDF leaving Alabama is as far fetched as some of the bama nation think. All things being equal, the Alabama job is as good, if not better than the A&M job. However, while Alabama has the past to look upon . .A&M has a ton of future. They draw more fans be game than Alabama, they have a better recruiting base, their facilities are the ones Alabama is striving to build (As we saw from the proposed plans). All that being said, they are still building new facilities to help with recruiting. There is a TON of money that flows through college station, so resources will never be a concern, and with a annual enrollment of over 40,000 students, and proximity to the 4th largest city in the nation, I wouldn't be surprised if their overall fan base was equal to that of Alabama and Auburn combined.

With that being said, all things are not equal. Alabama does face 4 more years probation, Alabama does face a reopening of the NCAA investigation. As I've mentioned before, CDF is currently being seen as a genious, and it is quite possible that he will be held in higher regard RIGHT NOW, than the rest of his career.

I think most people, if they look closely at Fran's history, will happily admit that he is a good coach - and certainly not a bad coach. But he is still an unproven coach. He has still not proven he can build and coach a program on the top tier of Division I football (and bama folks should expect no less).

Even though he hasn't done this, the rumors of A&M's contract offer to him his friggin' enormous - and that has to make him think about things. But, better yet, he may find it better to simply use that to up bama's ante.

Can you imagine the euphoria in T'town and B'ham if CDF turns down more money to stay with bama? He will have painted himself as the savior of T'town, sacrificing his own self for the better of the University.

He will basically take his 10 point loss to a 10 point underdog, that also happens to be his schools biggest rival, and make it 2nd page news. He will get to eliminate discussion of how he gave Auburn bulliten board material with his childish tstdr crap and replace it with his own selflessness in regards to the tide.

Its absolutely genious. . .

Can you imagine the field day the B'ham papers and the tide following would be having if CTT was doing this . . oh my gosh, it would be horrific.

But that's all fine. As with everything else, we won't know for sure what will happen. Myself, I think he'll stay, but I don't think him leaving is far fetched.

Regardless, CDF has found a way to ensure he won't hear about the Iron Bowl for the next 365 days . .

9. Goodlifetiger

Re: I just wanted to give my opinion on this whole deal.

Chuck, you must like to type. It took your narcissitc @$$ alot of needless typing to turn the Francis(bama, TAM) thing into something about Auburn. I am sure Fran is telling his lawyer right now. Man what ever you do please make sure no one is talking about the iron bowl. Get a grip!

10. chuck

chuck Founding Member

then let me ask you a question . .

bama folks are still convinced he's not leaving. .

if this is the case . . why has he not come out and said it?

Of course, if he does leave, my whole point is completely irrelevant.