coach smoke....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gorillaball90, Apr 3, 2006.

1. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

You gotta think long term. Players are only around for a short time. Coaches are generally there for much longer. You can't be worrying about recruits for 1 year when you are trying to establish a championship program.

LSU!

2. mss1616

mss1616 Freshman

The rumor that I heard was that Smoke would no longer be @ LSU next year Skip would come back till after the new field was built and that they wanted Doug Moreau to be the new AD. Later Skip would retire and they would look at that point for a new coach.

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE . . . THERE'S . . .

. . . . RETIRED !!

Oh, man, I'm having fun with this, ne pas?

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

So why would any of these guys leave their current posts to come here? They've all elevated their own programs themselves, and have achieved patriarch status in their respective surroundings. I just don't see it happening.

Bianco has done a fantastic job at Ole Mrs., especially given that he competes with the likes of MSU and yes, USM for recruits.

5. swoop

swoop Founding Member

I couldn't agree more, I'm a big bianco fan, but he hasn't done much to prove he is the man for the job. I would love to see ray tanner here, but come on no way.

6. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

they will go to Mcneese or ULM or Southeastern

7. TigerBaseball

TigerBaseball Freshman

Be careful what you wish for, because they could end up beating you one day.

8. ragincajun1987

ragincajun1987 Founding Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Tanner and Jones have accomplished pretty much what Smoke has accomplished, they'd be run out of town too if they came to LSU and stayed on the same path.

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Bull! They WOULDN'T stay on the same path. Both of these guys are actively involved in coaching their teams. Plus, both have a distinctive style of play... what is Smoke's? I'm not bashing him, but after all of these years, his teams still seem to be devoid of any continuity. Tanner and Jones are two guys that always seem physically involved in the game as far as I can tell. The same just CANNOT be said of Smoke. Comparing CRT and CRJ to Smoke is laughable. In terms of where their programs are, USC has been successfully atop the SEC (along with Florida) in terms of CWS appearances and wins and Tulane has been on the map for quite a few years now.

I don't think Rick Jones would take to the idea of coaching at LSU too well though--same for Ray Tanner or any of the other guys mentioned. Who would leave their program to come to LSU. LSU's tradition is far-removed from its status as the elite program in the country, so they can't use that as a selling point. Bianco seems like the most logical choice, but I'm skeptical about what he's accomplished over the years, especially in pitcher development--that seems to always be our achille's heel.

Sometimes it is something more than coaching that is the culprit. I'm split on this decision. I knew CJB was a good coach, he's proved it over the years, but Smoke has shown signs of great coaching as well. I'm honestly split over this. But, what do you guys think of Robichaux? :grin: