Coaches and BCS

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUZouave, Dec 11, 2003.

1. LSUZouave

LSUZouave Freshman

Did anyone just see on PTI where one of the sections was the BCS. Tony and Michael said that the BCS just anncounced that they are going to let the coach's vote their minds and not the winner of the Sugar Bowl?
    Did I hear that wrong?
    Why can't I find anything about this on any of the major websites.

If this is true, all I can say is geaux Michigan.

2. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Yeah, I heard that too. What a bunch of sh*t! It's almost like they are setting up the BCS to be torn down becuase it doesn't work. I hope to hell that Michigan beats the snot out of that bus load of fags, USC...

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I cannot find anything on the net about this as well. I wonder if they were talking about USAToday saying they would count the votes for USC as number one if the coaches voted their minds and did not follow their contract.

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I heard on Condon's show that the winner of the Sugar Bowl will be #1, without a doubt. This is per one of those coaches.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I hope Michigan beats them 77-0

If that happens it will show what asses the humans are that
    put usc where they don't belong, at #1.

Anybody who voted usc ahead of LSU are asses and if you
    read some of thier logic for doing so like I did you would
    know why.

Its too bad the bcs is going to take the fall because of these
    asses.

I also hope that this will make Nick realize we should never sit
    on a score as it just makes us look like less of a dominant team.

Please Nick,
    If we're able to dominate against OU we need to show the world
    how good we can be and beat them like they beat everyone
    else.

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Long ranting post, but articles included

I saw it and I agree 100% with you, GEAUX Michigan! Let LSU and Okla settle this on the field, and not on some voters poll where they want to screw the BCS system.

Living out here and being a graduate of LSU, I hear this stuff 24/7 at work. At first I felt bad for SC and their fans, but not anymore. Screw them. They knew the rules, and over 2 weeks ago were fully supporting the BCS and it's system for picking #1 and #2. In fact, the debates two weeks ago at work ended in "whatever the BCS decides". Then Okla lost, and everything changed. I hear "people's champ", "the BCS means nothing", "only the human voters count to the fans", etc. It's a top story on the news every night, and for the first few days they were giving us updates from the SC campus with reaction from students. Most of all I'm sick of hearing about the Rose being the true NC, and the Sugar being the battle for #2. That fact the media is running with this idea is crazy. Voters screwing LSU or Okla to get back at the BCS. It is non-stop. Which is why I have been pretty hostile in my rants toward SC on this board.

Anyway enough of my LA co-worker SC fans rant, here are the two articles yesterday that brought up this very topic, and was emailed to me by all my SC co-workers. One is from the LA Daily news, and the other is from USAToday. There are a few others from smaller newspapers, but these are the ones the national media are talking about. The one thing that is for certain is that the winner of the Sugar walks off the field with the crystal football.

And just be happy most of you guys are still going to LSU or living in BR and get to see the news from an LSU perespective and enjoy the moment among many more Tiger fans (than those of us who have moved). I will say this. My LSU friends out here are pretty cool, most are older, but they throw one hell of a SECCG party. One guy has had his Tiger Flag out in front of his house since August, and plans on leaving it up year round.

Here is the LA Daily news article:

"Trojans could be people's champions"
    http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E28541%257E1822386,00.html

By Kevin Modesti

If USC fans get over this Bowl Championship Series snub, they'll realize the Trojans are the lucky ones in the three-sided controversy.

Sure, USC got robbed when the No. 1 team in the experts' polls was sent to the Rose Bowl to play Michigan while Oklahoma and Louisiana State were sent to the Sugar Bowl to play for the official national title. But would the Trojans actually want to trade places with the Sooners or the Tigers? Not if they quit complaining and start thinking this through.

Oklahoma or LSU can win the coaches' rigged vote for No. 1 in the USA Today-ESPN poll and be the champion of the computers. USC can earn the writers' honest vote for No. 1 in the Associated Press poll and be the champion of the people.

Oklahoma or LSU would be the champion of the establishment. USC would be the champion of reform.

Oklahoma or LSU would be the champion of the system. USC would be the champion of common sense.

Oklahoma or LSU would be remembered as the bandit. USC would be remembered as the victim.

Oklahoma or LSU would be on the right side of a football score. USC would be on the right side of history.

What would you rather have? A counterfeit national-title trophy? Or the sympathy of every living being outside Oklahoma, Louisiana and Westwood?

The Trojans get to be heroic martyrs without suffering so much as a single burning-at-the-stake.

Of course they'd rather be going to New Orleans to play for an undisputed national title. Except that even if they were going to New Orleans, it wouldn't be undisputed. With three teams once-beaten and hard to separate, if USC hadn't been slighted, either Oklahoma or LSU would have been.

Being No. 1 in the people polls run by major media organizations makes the BCS slight more painful for the Trojans.

But it's also the painkiller.

We don't have to wait four weeks, until the Jan. 1 Rose Bowl and the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl are over, to know which school is going to look better in the press.

Look at the coverage since Sunday afternoon, when the BCS rankings and the bowl pairings were finalized. Check the articles from the Associated Press and the pages of USA Today and The New York Times, major media outlets without local dogs in this fight. Did they greet the news by hailing the Sooners and Tigers as championship material and burying the Trojans in the bottom paragraphs?

No, the Trojans were the story. Of the 28 articles since Sunday, 10 emphasized the BCS controversy in general. Eleven focused on the Trojans' plight, while only four led with Oklahoma and one with LSU. Of the 10 photographs in the same span, seven were of USC players or coaches, while only two were of LSU and one of Oklahoma.

If there's anything America loves more than a winner, it's a hard-luck loser. Ask yourself which team from October 2003 is going to live longer in baseball legend and lore, the World Series champion Florida Marlins or the Chicago Cubs. Long after Brad Penny and Ivan Rodriguez are forgotten, they'll be writing books about Moises Alou and Steve Bartman.

A month ago, after the Trojans took an all-too-tenuous hold on No. 2 in the BCS rankings, I wrote that if they won their final three regular-season games they'd earn a place in history one way or another, either as a BCS championship finalist or as an embarrassment for the BCS system. The second scenario was played out more dramatically than envisioned.

The point is not that the Trojans should be satisfied with a share of a title.

It's that they should be happy because their half of the title would be the bigger half.

There would be no asterisk attached to the Trojans' AP championship.

The only asterisks will be the ones implicitly attached to Oklahoma or LSU when the sportscasters report Jan. 5 that the Sugar Bowl winner has been crowned the national champion officially, but ...

The Sooners or Tigers will have to live with the knowledge that they didn't have to play against the people's choice, that they won because of an arbitrary computer formula.

While the Trojans will have the satisfaction of playing for something larger than themselves, of carrying the banner for the overthrow of the BCS.

Now tell me who you'd rather be. Oklahoma and LSU, which have a chance to win the season's final game? Or USC, which has a chance to win the last laugh?

Kevin Modesti's column appears three days a week in the Daily News. He can be reached at [email protected].

Here is the USAToday article:

"Coaches' poll a bogus election"
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-12-10-brennan_x.htm

By Christine Brennan

So it's the night of Jan. 4, 2004, and the BCS title game has just ended inside the Superdome. A sponsor appears on the field and hands the crystal trophy to the winning team, either LSU or Oklahoma, declaring them No. 1 in the USA TODAY/ESPN Coaches' Poll.
    There's just one problem: No one has voted yet.

This grand coronation is occurring even though an official poll has not yet been taken. And it's happening even if USC beats Michigan in the Rose Bowl, at which point it would be entirely conceivable the Trojans would be voted No. 1 in the coaches' poll, because that's where they sit today.

But, according to BCS rules, USC cannot be No. 1 in this poll because the 37 coaches who voted for USC the other day will not be allowed to vote for the Trojans again. In fact, they'll probably be bound and gagged and thrown into the closet for a half-hour or so; that way the BCS can get the results it wants.

"The end result is there is no vote for No. 1," said Grant Teaff, who runs the coaches association. "The winner of the (LSU-Oklahoma) game will be in the top spot in our poll. It's preordained."

I think there were fairer elections in the old Soviet Union. At least the poor Soviets could vote for No. 1. Many years it was Brezhnev.

Some of the coaches who voted for USC this week have been telling reporters they certainly are considering voting for USC again if it wins the Rose Bowl. They must be working under the silly notion that this coaches' poll is a real poll. But they're in for a rude awakening. Teaff said they could vote only for Nos. 2 through 25.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a poll for the national championship — the most important poll of the year — decided without a vote.

As we sit here more than three weeks before the big game, it's a done deal. Either LSU or Oklahoma will be No. 1.

Teaff pointed out that this coronation rule has been in effect since 1998. So why are we focusing on it now? Because USC, ranked No. 1 not only by the coaches' poll but also by the Associated Press writers' poll, was left out of the so-called national championship game Jan. 4 in the Sugar Bowl. That game is supposed to bring together the nation's two best teams, but this year, the silly computers made one slight mistake: They left out the No. 1 team.

Because of the truly impressive outpouring of national indignation in the past few days — all of it deserved, by the way — one would think the officials who run the coaches' poll would be adapting to this unique situation by changing their rules, by allowing a real vote for No. 1 and by acquiring the backbone to award USC the coaches' trophy if the Trojans beat Michigan and the coaches then vote as they did the other day.

You know, take your head out of the sand, acknowledge that the computers have made your rules look ridiculous and realize that by ignoring the obvious, you're looking more and more like the emperor with the new clothes.

But this is football, so they ain't changin'.

Which means that it's time for USA TODAY and ESPN to punt the coaches' poll. How can either respected news organization continue to attach its good name to a vote that isn't a vote, a poll that isn't a poll?

You learn in Journalism 101 that you don't ever lend credibility to a potential sham like this. Instead, you expose it.

As USA TODAY Deputy Managing Editor/Sports Jim Welch said, the coaches' poll's automatic nature "understandably prompts questions about the validity of the final poll." He said he will be addressing the matter further with officials of the coaches association.

"Obviously, it needs to reflect the individual coaches' opinions to be meaningful," Welch said.

Imagine for a moment the USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup poll trumpeting findings that showed 85% of the nation supported Candidate A and 15% supported Candidate B in what was supposed to be a close race. Imagine we then found out that the questions were asked by the Gallup people in such a way as to basically force respondents to choose Candidate A. How quickly would USA TODAY and CNN debunk that one?

Pete Carroll has seen a lot of airtime this week as USC's head coach, making sense out of a nonsensical situation. Of all his comments, this one about the coaches' poll rings most true. As he told the Los Angeles Daily News, "What kind of vote is it if you don't vote?"

The answer is easy: One that should be revealed as the charade that it is.

7. Atltiger

Atltiger Founding Member

I have one thing to say about all this bullsh"t. LSU has done it all year. Came out and turned everything upside down on what these reporters and writers have said is going to happen.

We Couldn't beat Georgia the first time - We did.
    Aurburn was a better team - We showed them who was.
    Manning would tear up our defense - His butt hurts.
    Georgia got better and will win the SEC - Dawgsh"t

In the end USC will win the AP(Is what they say) - Even if USC beats Michigan. If LSU does what they did to Georgia to Oklahoma. What do you do after sex with a Trojan? You throw it out. The Ap and USA Today will vote LSU.

8. austintiger54

austintiger54 Freshman

If it was USC in the championship game instead of LSU, there would be nothing like this kind of indignation from the press. It's just a fact of life that USC football is just like Notre Dame, or Arizona basketball, or the Yankees. the media will always bow down to their greatness, deserved or not, and if your name happens to start with "Louisiana," you're just screwed.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

quoted by austintiger54:
    .....................................................................................................
    If it was USC in the championship game instead of LSU, there would be nothing like this kind of indignation from the press. It's just a fact of life that USC football is just like Notre Dame, or Arizona basketball, or the Yankees. the media will always bow down to their greatness, deserved or not, and if your name happens to start with "Louisiana," you're just screwed.
    .....................................................................................................
    You said it!

Hit the nail on the head!

10. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member