Coaches falling like they're in a shooting gallery

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Jan 22, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I am not happy with the state of our basketball program just like many of you, but I can't help but thinking that LSU has changed the following coaches in the past year.

Track
    Football
    Womens BBall
    Soccer
    Swimming and Diving

It makes me wonder if they will be a little gunshy due to having had to replace 5 coaches already in the past year. That's a hell of a lot IMO. I have to wonder if 6 out of 13 in one year would be a little much for the athletics department to handle.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

One thing is certain, Skip Bertman is having a HUGE influence on the overall athletic department and it's future with all of these coaching hires. Of course the AD job by default means he has such influence department wide but wow this is a lot of hires for one AD to be responsible for in such a short period of time!

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And by quite a few accounts, all of these sports should continue or increase the previous coaches' success.

Skip is doing a hell of a job and this gives me even more confidence in Les Miles.

I can't figure out why they are so reluctant to change basketball coaches. I think its probably something deeper than any fans really realize.

4. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

Like what for example?

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Bertman and Brady are secretly lovers ?

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

Can't really blame Sue Gunter, she's sick and such.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

It does make you wonder, especially the track coach. With all the NC's here, why leave for Texas A&M (I think that's where he went). In football, we lost a legend but he left us in pretty good shape. The rest is up to Miles. Same with women's BB. I like Pokey Chatman alot and the girls seem to like playing for her. As for soccer and S&D, right or wrong, they're a lower echelon sport and have minimal impact on the overall health of LSU sports.

Bottom line though, if the coach isn't getting it done, he should be replaced regardless of the turnover you've already experienced. But you're probably right. Skip's just waiting until the end of the season to pull the trigger on Brady.

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

How many of those coaches were fired? Two coaches quit and one retired due to illness. Not sure about soccer or swimming.

Overall, I think Skip has done a fine job as AD, but I wonder what's going through his mind with the basketball program. Skip doesn't miss too many opportunities to make money, but he's certainly missing it with the basketball program.

If Brady can't get this team in the NCAA tourney, I'll be shocked if Skip doesn't pull the trigger...

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I wasn't posting this with the idea that we should not have parted ways with any of these coaches or to say that all of them had a good reason to quit or anything of thatr sort. I was just wondering if the fact that we have tunred over so many coaches would make Skip reluctant to fire Brady if he wants too.

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I wonder if there is any sort of record on how many head coaching vacancies were created in one calander year at the major college level. 6 out of thirteen sounds like a very busy year for an AD. As stated by another poster at least 3 of them were not firings but very differing circumstances and only one of the three staying in college ranks. I don't know or have never heard anything about Soccer , Swimming and diving