Coaches Poll out this morning

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MLUTiger, Jul 30, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Here's what I think is the breakdown of those #1 votes:

USC-44

Oklahoma-12

LSU-5

Lou Holtz-405 (all to Southern Cal)

2. kpjr80

kpjr80 Founding Member

USC

USC plays 1 Top 25 opponent: an over-rated Cal team (#15) AT HOME. LSU plays @ #4UGA, @ #10 UF, & @ #18 AU. It's no wonder they took the Strength of Schedule and Quality Wins out of the mix, USC wouldn't have a chance at getting to the Orange Bowl!

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

I may be mistaken but I think the tougher schedule is to LSU's advantage, not USC's. To get to the Orange Bowl, LSU has to win those tough games and then the SOS factor will work in your favor aginst whoever the competetion is, such as USC.

4. kpjr80

kpjr80 Founding Member

No more SOS

Strength of schedule is not a factor anymore in the BCS. They took it out! That's what I'm saying. If they would have left it in, USC would have a significantly lower SOS than, LSU, Miami, FSU, UF, UGA, OU, and Texas (and probably many other teams) since their schedule is easy. Now that there is no SOS anymore, all USC has to do is stay a "Media Darling"

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I think the point is that Southern Cal won't have any tests along the way to tell if they really deserve the high ranking where as LSU will have at least 3 games (Auburn, Florida and Georgia on the road) that are harder than USC's toughest.

Also the point that SOS has been reduce in importance this year lends well to the Trojans weak schedule.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

True, by the time USC gets to the Orange Bowl, they will be not be battle tested and will lose to whoever they play (a one loss LSU team).

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

USC will likely go undefeated, along with Miami. An undefeated USC is not deserving of a NC shot with their piss-poor schedule. Period.

LSU will have to run the table and hope OU loses a game again, with that "bolt & nut held together" gimp Frankenstein White at QB.

A #3 LSU ranking in September could still have an undefeated LSU @ #3 in November or December waiting for Frankenstein's battery to drain.

It's tough to rise when you're at the top and those above you have weak schedules. But it's even tougher when the journalists keep undeserving whiny azz rodents like USC ranked above LSU.

Can't wait to see where the AP ranks LSU.

8. islstl

The entire Frankenstein visual on J White is classic.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

LSU faces a brutal SEC road schedule but for the sake of argument lets say the Tigers go undefeated and win the SECCG. USC, Oklahoma and Miami all go undefeated. Under that scenario it would be obvious that LSU and OU would have played the tougher schedules and should be in the Orange Bowl. No doubt that the fag poll voters would put the pansy ass Condoms and the prison bound Canes in the CG instead. If Miami beats Florida State in the season opener the rest of their schedule is so weak they basically have a free ride to an undefeated regular season.

10. islstl

If USC runs the table, they will stay #1 in both polls (I predict AP will start them out at #1 as well). Undefeated teams that are preseason #1 NEVER lose that ranking (meaning as long as they stay undefeated they stay #1).

It will really be sad that they get into the Orange due to the weak schedule.