Coaches that currently make more money then Les Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Jan 15, 2014.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I remember it. The explanations haven't changed. Back then it was "it's market driven."

About three years ago there was a reporter that brought up the professors pay versus coaches pay in a presser with Jim Calhoun. You may remember that. When I started thinking about the first coach getting paid a million per year my mind wandered off on that subject a bit. It's been a conversation for years, hell decades, but I recalled the first time it really hit in this Internet age was with Pete Carroll at USC when word leaked out he was getting 1.5 per year.

Reminds me of another story...

When Bryant was at A&M there was an English professor by the name of Tommy Mayo that was giving him hell about his emphasis on winning and his salary. Bryant responded by asking him "how many people watch you give a final exam? Mayo said, "around fifty."

Bryant's response was along the lines of "I have 50,000 watch me give mine—every Saturday."

Back to the point of the thread...some of these guys mentioned deserve every penny of what they're paid. Others, without really anything significant to point to, don't. I'm still lost on how a guy like Sumlin deserves 5MM per.