Coaches to be held accountable.. kinda..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, May 27, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Columnists/MZ/CoachesPollaccountability.htm

2. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Another positive step IMHO.

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Mini-steps. Woo-Hoo for posting THE last poll, but how 'bout the ones mid-season in the season that might have a one-loss Notre Dame #10 and undefeated SEC team # 15? I'd kill to see a Shula's or Tuberville's picks if it effect their team adversley by a truthfully ranking of Auburn or Alabama.

I'm glad to see the AP out of the loop. I'm a college football fan with minimal interest in the NFL. I do not see how a sports writer with a deadline to meet, a smart a.. comment to make, and pro ball to follow can fully appreciate a college football weekend.

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

This step doesn't solve the problem we want to be solved.

We wanted to make sure coaches didn't screw Texas over Cal again (example of course) but all this does is show what everyone did at the end

5. MarcusQuinn

MarcusQuinn Founding Member

This is actually not a good thing. The coaches do not have time to watch and evaluate every game that effects the top 25-35 teams. So what do you think they will do? They will look at the AP poll, watch Lee, Kirk, Trev and the boys and then base their votes to reflect what they feel is the general, "safe" rankings according to the media. AP gets out of the BCS, yet still gets to influence rankings without any accountability. And the coaches are the ones that have political, financial and competitive reasons to worry about. The media just hit a home run.

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

You're dead-on the money, MQ. The media influence now becomes greater under this scenario. What does that mean? It means that teams in major media market have a decided bias (all other things being equal) over small market teams.

This type of result is what you get when you treat symptoms instead of problems.

7. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

So why should the coaches even be voting in a poll?

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I'd rather the coaches than a bunch of Stanford educated sportswriters with agendas!