Coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckE, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I've asked this before. However, I'd appreciate to read replies from LSU fans and not invaders of this site. I know many will disagree with me, but we all have opinions. Jerry Stovall was a good fit IMO. In 1982 we had a team that I believe was 6 points from being undefeated. Several players from that team went high in the draft. Tom Osborne stated after the orange bowl, that defense was the best any team he coached had ever faced. We lost tremendous talent from that year and Jerry had a rebuilding season and he is gone. How can we suffer through Hallman and DiNardo and let an individual that Loved LSU and would have built a power house team. I remember Arnsparger winning with Jerry's boys and when the cubbard was bare he left. Stovall is sent packing and we take a chance on Archer. I would really like to understand this. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Nick Saban. Nick will be loaded with his own recruits and we will know the real coach. I think we have seen him for 3 seasons now and I do like the direction LSU is going. I got off track but I will appreciate feedback on Stoval. I was opposed to letting him go and today I still think it was a bad decision.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I like Jerry Stoval, too. But he just wasn't head coach material. he was already out of coaching when Dietzel called him in to salvage the recruiting season upon the death of Bo Rein. No way Broadhead was going to keep him when Arnsparger was available. Stoval did not last in coaching afterwards.

For me the question is -- "What would the 80's have looked like at LSU if Bo Rein had lived?" The guy was a top talent and might have picked up the pieces after McClendon and established a dynasty.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Red55, thanks for your input. I lived in Sulphur area from 1980-1993. I've been a Tiger since 1969. My main information was the Lake Charles Press until I was introduced to the Tiger Rag just prior to being transferred. I based my opinion on the records of Stovall. I did know it was clear that Bob was not going to keep Stovall. I didn't like Bob that well, but he did do one thing and that was bring Skip and LSU together. But I do appreciate the feedback. Let me ask you another question..Do you think Terry Robiski (Probably not spelled correct) would have been a good selection as a head coach at LSU? His name was floating when LSU hired Saban.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Terry Robiskie is one of my favorite Tiger players. He and I were both freshmen at LSU in 1973. He was the first LSU 1,000-yard rusher and the first black superstar at LSU. He was big and fast. As good as Charles Alexander was, he backed up Robiskie the two years that they played together.

He played a few years in the NFL before becoming an NFL assistant coach where he has excelled for 20 years. He rose to offensive coordinator for the Raiders and the Redskins where he also served a short term as interim head coach.

Joe Dean interviewed him for the job that Dinardo got, but it was clear that the LSU Board of Supervisors were looking for a proven college Division I head coach. Robiskie stated that LSU was the only job he would consider leaving the NFL for.

It's hard to say what kind of head coach he might have made. I think he will eventually get a shot at head coach for an NFL team and then we will know more. I doubt that he will be considered for a future LSU head coaching job unless he pays some dues as a winning head coach in Division I somewhere and demonstrates that he can recruit and coach the college game. With his successful NFL coaching career, I don't think he will consider that. But you never know...

And incidently, The Lake Charles paper has better LSU coverage than most Louisiana papers. Scooter Hobbs was also one of my contemporaries at LSU, the best Reveille sports editor ever, and probably is the best sportswriter in Louisiana. It's suprising that one of the Baton Rouge or New Orleans papers haven't hired him away.

Check the link on Terry Robiskie:

http://scout.TheInsiders.com/a.z?s=107&p=9&c=2&cid=26030&nid=503489&fhn=1

5. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Red55, thanks for the information. So you were there about to enter LSU during the great LSU-Ole Miss 4/second game? I was a senior at Mosspoint High that year. The next season I attended my first ever LSU game in Jackson Miss against Ole Miss. I remember Terry running around the left side and a great fake into the middle, left that side wide open for Terry, he almost walked into the endzone. I read scooters articles each week. I also subscribe to the electronic version of the Press. Scooter is by far my favorite, he is funny too!