Coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

It's a shame that an otherwise dominant performance on both sides of the football last night had to be lost in all this buffoonery.

Most of what happened in the first half is on the players -all the mistakes and miscues that kept points off the scoreboard.

After half-time, it's all on the coaches. By the second half, it was clear that Lee was the better option at QB and Jefferson's 83 yard romp should not have kept him in the game. Lee was far from stellar - but he can move the team down the field.

The stubborn insistence on running the option (which is the ONLY reason they are keeping Jefferson in) shows how inflexible the offensive philosophy is, even considering personnel. Jefferson's not even good at it.

LSU's OL and RBs are giving the Tigers a running game without the QB. Accept that, adapt the gameplan, move on. That's coaching.

Another 9 or 10 penalty game, mostly on the offense? Clearly coaching. I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt.

And for all the errors made by a QB that should not have even been in the game (coaching), the decision to run a clock-eating play around the end (hadn't worked most of the night), without a timeout, and without a second play called, and with a QB who does not make decisions....well, that's all coaching.

Miles isn't going anywhere right now - he's technically still winning. But Crowton just sealed his own fate. And if Miles doesn't get rid of him, he's sealing his fate as well.

I think folks attached to the program (i.e. it's their job) are increasingly embarrassed. Miles' seat just ignited and is on fire.

Players-only team meeting? I take it as a positive act to keep the team from splitting up, emotionally. We'll have to wait and see how well it works.

The good news? Florida is beatable. The bad news? They won't need to beat LSU because LSU will likely beat themselves.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I agree with everything except having the second play called. The second play is clock it...no matter what. Any idiot would've known to just line em up and clock it...but JJ hadn't a clue what to do.

The reason it's the only option is because you don't know what the outcome of the first play is gonna be. And in a goalline situation, that matters...a lot. If he loses 6 yds, you clock it and then send in a passing play. If he does what he does, you clock it and send in whatever pkg is necessary to gain 1 yd. Either way, you clock it after JJs first play...and that isn't in question. There's no need to send JJ in with two plays.

3. Bandit88

Well, I think we're both right, Fish. I think most college QBs can handle having a second play that builds off expected results, and a clock it option when it's clear the second play that was called is not correct.

I don't think there's really an excuse to not be able to handle that. Jefferson's ability is known best by the coaches. The fact that they had him in that situation if he couldn't handle it if ANYTHING went wrong puts all the blame on them.

Jarrett Lee needs to start, but the coaches are to blame for even having Jefferson in that situation.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I was livid when they put him in there. I get the logic, but step away from your little script for a sec and recognize reality. JJ ain't got it. Hell, 2nd down, 32 secs left, leave the personnel on the field and hand the ball to Ridley. If he doesn't make it the first time, clock it and regroup for the last play. Simple.

5. Bandit88

"Simple" would be the antonym for "Crowton's Offense".

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Spot on post. I would add the word incompetent in front of coaching. Top programs would not have even tried to switch out the QB with 32 sec left and no timeouts, irregardless of the discussion of whether JJ had a second play or whether he is just dumb and can't process more than one play, etc. If he is that mentally incompetent, all the more reason as a HC or OC to not consider switching out the QB that got you in that position in the first place.

7. sibleyj22

sibleyj22 Freshman

It seems to me that Miles and Crowton were trying too hard to do something different with the QB situation. This was evident with the constant switching of QB's thoughout the game. They really outsmarted themselves when they put JJ back in with 32 seconds left and no timeouts when it was clear that Lee was on a bit of a roll. JJ may have athletic ability, but his football IQ is in the toilet. Lee got a bad rep after '08 when he had to take over the offense designed for Perrilloux as a Freshman. He doesn't always make the best decisions, but you can tell the team plays differently when he is on the field. If Miles wants to silence the critics, do something with Crowton. Then, give Lee a legitimate shot at QB. Design a game plan that actually plays to our strengths and limits the chances at losing the game due to bad QB play. Living in FL, I have seen every Gator game...they are beatable. But it is gonna take a lot more than undisciplined play, stupid penalties and this anemic Crowton offense. Les, stop being a bystander and start being a coach!

2 people like this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And keep the defenses from putting 8 men in the box and stuffing the running game, like last year.

I'll never understand why they keep running the option so poorly. If it ain't there go to something else, $450,000 offensive coordinators are supposed to have a bag of tricks and more than one plan.

The delay of game penalties are on them for sure, we still have an issue getting plays into the game. But the players have to step up and quit holding, facemasking, and personal fouling, 'cause that on them alone.

Yep.

SO is Arkansas, Ole Miss and Auburn . . . but Alabama will beat us badly unless a passing game develops.