Colin Powell

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Apr 19, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I'm sorry, but this guy talking to Bob Woodward, knowingly giving him damaging information that would paint Mr. Bush in a certain light is totally reprehensible? Whatever happened to loyalty?

Let us rewind to the Gulf War, shall we? Colin Powell is the very reason we had to go back in in 2003-04 to finish the job that Bush's father started. Powell went apesh!t to keep us out of Iraq and from removing Hussein, fearful of American soliders loss of life, and the fact that the area would be hard to control...

What a BRILLIANT deduction! Americans may die if we remove a dictator! Americans may die and the region may be somewhat unstable at the outset of our mission there?

Powell pitched such a bitch in 1991 that Bush and Cheney literally had to coordinate strategy at one point by leaving Powell out of high level discussions. I read a Newsweek piece on it (I can't remember the volume and issue, but Jim Jeffords was on the front cover, and it was at that time in the past), and it said that Powell became such a hindrance because of his constant bellering and complaining about the direction of our policy there that Bush and Cheney literally could not hold productive strategy meetings, so they LEFT HIM OUT!

The author of the article feels as if Powell blanched in Iraq so much in 1991 due to his experience in Vietnam, and was fearful of the homeland reception troops would receive in modern day times in a tough international military situation such as this.

So, almost FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, we have a President and Dick Cheney (Sec. of Defense at the time) meeting behind the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff's back because of his aversion to removing a despotic and cruel, vile man who had his hand on the button of WMD. His aversion to this was due to what he perceived to be public relations problems for his fellow soldiers on the homefront.

Obviously, he was mistaken then. Obviously, he was right about the inherent problems liberating and stabilizing Iraq, and putting into place a representative Democratic government. Who was thinking any different, though?

Fast forward to today. Bush avoids meeting with Powell. He says he does so because he knew what Powell's outlook would be. Hell, it was the same outlook from over 15 years ago. So, basically, history repeats itself.

Powell's worrying about soldiers and the public perception (Which he's been wrong about twice now) kept him from having the BALLS to go in and finish the job in Iraq and free those people in 1991.

This time around, his opinion hasn't changed (shocking, I know), and the new President's reaction is the same (to cut him out of the loop).

What makes it such a huge story now? I'd like to know if perhaps Khaos Project or another liberal can answer that for us.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

It's something that hasn't really come out as being talked about..but yes you are exactly correct. We were at the gates of Bagdad and it was Powell's call to head in to take Saddam or not...He choose not to...Who knows how much different things would be right now had he decided to go for him...

3. TigerEducated

People are detrimental and say that Bush II did Iraq to avenge his father's political image. He did it because Colin Powell acted as if he had been castrated. He did it because Saddam Hussein was attempting to unite the Arab world behind hatred of the United States.

It's just like Bush said today in a speech. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said something to the effect that after September 11th, you couldn't depend on our shores to protected us, you had to go and take out entities that threatened repeats of 9/11 to us. Iraq was a threat. We're not talking about launching bombs. We're talking about Hussein allowing state sponsored terrorism, and we see even now that Syria and Tehran are allowing and sponsoring insurgency in Iraq. Woe be to them is all I can say.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

well said. sept 11th made a new world. we need to recognize it, and take the offensive.

side note: i spent last week at fort bragg, and i spoke to many soldiers there (its where hardcore dudes like special forces and the 82nd airborne hang out) i was really amazed at how legitimately badass our military guys are. i am proud to have them roaming the world chasing terrorists.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Actually, that decision was made by George Herbert Walker Bush, according to the history books.

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I was going to post a followup because I knew someone woudl try and pull that out...

Yes, Red...the President does make the decisions and (whether it is right or not) gets blamed or exhalted for them...George Herbert Walker Bush consulted Colin Powell on what to do with the situation and Powell said that they should end major ground operations short of capturing Bagdad. With that, Bush made the decision. I am not saying whether it was good or bad. But Powell did make the call and was integral in it....

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

I'm very happy that you spent the time at fort bragg and talked to our soldiers there, it doesn't sound like morale is bad there from what you say.

I would say that they don't have to chase terrorists right now because the front lines are currently in Iraq and I would rather fight them there then try
    and find them in America because once they get here thier practically invisible
    and then its normally too late anyway!

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did you get to play golf with Tiger Woods?

9. TigerEducated

The front line for the American Military are currently the Iraqi borderlines with Syria and Iran...The United States has said nothing, but they have exchanged fire with Syrian border guard protecting insurgents slipping into the Iraqi desert across the border. We've lost 5 marines attempting to quell the insurgents from spilling across the border.

Democrats want to complain about the level of destabilization and whine and complain about a quagmire. But, if we came out and said that Syria and Tehran were about to get mauled for their aiding and abetting terrorist insurgency, they'd start complaining about us acting in an Imperialistic manner or overstepping our authority.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition, but I relish the results. A democraticly controlled Iraq friendly to the United States, along with Kuwait as a staunch ally, as well as our old friend Israel, and an at least lip service being paid by Saudi Arabia, the short term problems are actually a far cry from the long term goal, which is peace in an area of the world that has historically been a powder keg for disunity and violence.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

funny you should ask that. i played golf 3 times while i was there, and that was all anyone talked about. one day i had to play the air force course because both army ones were shut down to let their employees help set up the tiger extravaganza. the whole place was nuts about tiger.

some of the guys i paired up with to play golf had already been to iraq and were about to return. i felt like i need to sign up and shoulder my share of the load.