College Bowl Scene Is Flush With Corporate Dollars

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Dec 28, 2004.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Article

Enjoyed reading it so I thought I would post it on here for others

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Interesting, but does this really surprise anyone? College sports are becoming more and more like the pros. If this continues (and it will), it will only server to alienate portions of the fan base. Bottom line, it's not a good thing.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

why is it not a good thing? corporate money is great for the bowls and schools, isnt it? i dunno, i am really asking, not arguing.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I'm talking purely from a fan's perspective. My point is basically that, as long as these big shot commissioners and bowl game executives continue getting fat off the current system, then there's no reason to initiate a change where the championship can be decided on the field.

I guess the flip side to that is that maybe these corporations can force the issue if that's what THEY want and they figure out a way to make even more money for all involved.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

right. i know the people who profit from the current system do not want to change it, but i bet there are some corporate big boys who realize how incredibly profitable a 4 team playoff would be. a four team playoff might knock the popularity and profitability of the sport up a few notches.

tournaments/playoffs are awesome and everyone loves them. like march madness, even our grandmas are filling out brackets. maybe the corporate interests are good for the sport if they are smart enough to recognize what a goldmine a playoff could be.