College Graduates fear debt more than terrorism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Mystikalilusion, May 19, 2005.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

"College Graduates fear debt more than terrorism". This title is very misleading. If I were asked the same questions these graduates were, I'd put getting a job as my answer too. But you put getting a job or terrorism in front of me as options and I'll answer terrorism.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Very simple,
    When you are in school you are busy going to school, studying, maybe working a job to support yourself and getting a degree.
    It is also harder for you to keep up with news events, most kids in school
    could care less about anything other than school and girls and are rather
    naive about anything else until they are older.

Most people don't understand how the real world works or have any experience let alone know the first thing about politics.
    Most kids after 12 years of high school don't know the first thing about politics or understand it, that applies to some college kids also.

Things in real life are also often different than the way it happens in a book.

Does that clarify that for you or do you still think I'm wrong?

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We just don't know how the questions were asked.

I imagine if they were asked if international terrorism was a greater threat to America than their personal debt was . . . most would answer terrorism.

But if they were asked how badly they feared being a victim of terrorism versus going into personal debt . . . obviously their chances of going into debt are much higher than being a terrorist victim. Thus they fear it worse, because it is more likely to happen.

Pollsters can manipulate poll questions to get the answer they want.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Happens in a book? What on earth are you talking about? The first 5 years of college, I was working late nights waiting tables while trying to obtain an engineering degree. Fortunately, when I hit 24, the federal govn't started giving me Pell Grants due to the whole single parernt/tax bracket thing. I was then able to quit waiting tables and work in office environments and laboratories ('real' places). Along the way, I also had some pretty serious things to tend to, such as legal and family troubles. Now, I'm not sure what parts of that weren't 'real', but my life now is 10x easier than it was then.

Not by any stretch of the imagination was it harder then.

What strikes me as funny about this statement is that after 12 years of high school, I was as conservative as you could find. I bet if I had been on this board then you wouldn't be telling me how little I know about politics.

That is simply not true. Again, how does being in college prevent you from understanding politics? I'm asking you to draw a logistical comparison. What affliction does one have in college that produces the inability to comprehend sleazy politicians? Acquiring a degree is much more difficult than understanding politics. And I bet you wouldn't be making these comments towards the 'Campus Republicans' coalitions.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

You left this part out, I think you would argue with a brick wall btw.
    I said most not all, "most kids" meaning there could be exceptions to the rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    "Happens in a book? What on earth are you talking about? The first 5 years of college, I was working late nights waiting tables while trying to obtain an engineering degree. Fortunately, when I hit 24, the federal govn't started giving me Pell Grants due to the whole single parernt/tax bracket thing. I was then able to quit waiting tables and work in office environments and laboratories ('real' places). Along the way, I also had some pretty serious things to tend to, such as legal and family troubles. Now, I'm not sure what parts of that weren't 'real', but my life now is 10x easier than it was then. "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Exactly
    Please respond again when you figure out what I said! :dis:

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

You're not going to answer any of my questions, are you? This isn't meant to be a shot at you, but if I misunderstood something you said, I can't very well take the blame for that.