College Junior Varsity??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pjnchamps, Oct 1, 2007.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Seen where DeAngelo Benton and Hargrave traveled to Knoxsville to play against the University of Tennessee's junior varsity tram.Wondering how many team have an JV team and does LSU have one,and Who plays on it? Also how did Benton do?

1 person likes this.
  2. Buckeye Fan

Buckeye Fan Founding Member

I heard all the military academies have JV teams (since they can only play 4 years). But besides them I don't know who else does.

3. pjnchamps

yea thats what i thought untill i read that

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

There are a lot of random school with JV teams. I know Fran had one at Alabama and UNC's basketball team still has one and is a really big deal.

5. True Grit

True Grit Founding Member

I believe Ketucky has one. I know they used to, I believe they still have one.

6. K_Jay

K_Jay Founding Member

Then we should have one. It would be a good place for some of the younger guys who aren't getting playing time to get on the field and get some experience. We use to have a freshman team way back in the day.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I know that Keiland played Virginia Tech's JV team while he was there at Hargrave, so they have one.

What teams do they play besides military academies? Other JV teams? Who calls the plays for the JV team?

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

LSU had a freshman team years ago. I went and saw them play Tulane one year.

9. pjnchamps

found an articles about the game.
    http://govolsxtra.com/news/2007/sep/26/ut-sees-junior-varsity-game-win-win/?printer=1/

NCAA rules prohibit playing in more than 12 regular-season games, so student-athletes who have not played in all of UT’s early-season games could see action Thursday night. Redshirt candidates for the 2007 season are not allowed to play and maintain their redshirt status.

Thus, the only scholarship members joining Myers on Tennessee’s JV roster are junior Sinclair Cannon, sophomore Jonathan Crompton, redshirt-freshmen Nick Stephens, Victor Thomas, Ramone Johnson, Jarrod Shaw and Chase Nelson, and true freshmen Dennis Rogan, Savion Frazier and Ben Martin.

Stephens, Thomas and Shaw have yet to see action this season, while Myers has played in one game, Frazier, Martin and Nelson two and Crompton, Rogan and Johnson have appeared in three apiece.

“It’s a chance to look at some young guys who haven’t played very much,” Fulmer said. “Certainly it’s important from a recruiting standpoint, that we have those guys on campus. It give us a chance to see play first-hand some of those (from Hargrave) we’ve talked to and know about.”

“It’s a recruiting opportunity for us,” UT head coach Phillip Fulmer said

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU had a JV team in the 1970's composed of freshmen, walk-ons and non letterman upper classmen. But they dropped it decades ago. Not sure why, probably because so many freshmen were playing and lettering early.