collegefootballnews.com top 25

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jul 9, 2004.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Texas is going to have a pretty good squad this year. I dont see any way the hogs are going to win this one. Maybe they wont be top 5, but I expect to see them in the top 10 at years end.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hawgs are in a world of hurt I do believe. i usually pick them cuz they've been underrated for the last decade almost but I can't do it this year.

They will be lucky to be above .500. Nutt will be searching for answers early and often.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

When I went to the link, saw the rankings, and read what they had to say, this is what stood out in my mind:

"No matter what happens, this program should be here to stay among the elite."

To hear ANY national publication or media comment in such a way makes me feel VERY good about my tigers! I have not forgotten about sitting through miserable losses in Tiger Stadium during the 90's. For so long it was only a pipe dream for me to think LSU would ever regain its composure and compete. Now to be in the upper echelon of elite teams and get recognized for it, I am happy to no end!

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The loses at Michigan were much bigger than at LSU. Michigan hasnt had the elite recruiting classes to fill the lost spots like LSU. Yet they are ranked ahead? Despite losing players, LSU has such great young talent that they will be BETTER this year. WR is the most easily filled position on the board. The only big difference between a young wideout and an older wideout is run blocking. LSU has such a good line that they can run up the middle, so the run blocking on the outside isnt a huge consideration. Matt Mauch was not a great QB. He rarely put up big numbers, and while he didnt throw alot of INT's he did make quite a few bad horrible decisions.

WHen it comes down to it, I think the minuses of the seniors leaving are far outwieghed by the improvement of the younger players and the addition of incoming freshmen and juco's, especially on defense. The defensive line will be nearly as good as last year, the linebackers will be much better, and the defensive backs will take a step up.

Who will LSU lose to? Auburn? No way. Their offense might be able to run with us, if Campbell steps up, but their defense isnt close to ours. Florida, same deal. Georgia? I think we should in the SEC title game that we can win at Georgia (yes, i consider that game AT Georgia). They wont be able to stop our running game. Their line, while good, is more a pass rushing line that a run stopping line, and the linebackers are suspect. On the flip side, their strenght on offense should be the pass, and with Spears rushing and our DB's, pass defense should once again be our strength. Georgia, while good, just doesnt match up.

Then there is Texas. Texas gets a top 10 ranking every year by default. yet every year they failed to live up to this supposed potential. Apparently Texas does some good P.R. with the people who make these polls.

5. msully

msully Founding Member

@@@@ All that happened while Matt was in a game is LSU won . I maybe wrong the 1st game he played in was it the 2001 SECCG ? That is one of my favorite memorys of all time !!! I was at party here in Nashville among 260 + Vol Fans the 1st half was tough but it got better yes it did @@@@@@@ --ATLANTA (AP/HIG Staff) — A backup quarterback denied Tennessee a spot in the Rose Bowl.

Matt Mauck, filling in after Rohan Davey was injured, ran for two touchdowns and No. 21 LSU won its first Southeastern Conference title since 1988 with a 31-20 upset of second-ranked Tennessee on Saturday night.

The Volunteers (10-2) came to Atlanta hoping to complete their run for the Rose Bowl and a chance to win the national championship. Instead, they'll have to settle for the Orange, at best, or more likely the Citrus.

''We just didn't play very well,'' said coach Phillip Fulmer, whose team joined the national championship race with a 34-32 victory over Florida last week. ''We got here together. We lost together.''

Mauck, a 22-year-old freshman who spent three years as a catcher in the Chicago Cubs' organization, put LSU ahead for good with a 13-yard touchdown on the second play of the fourth quarter. He also scored LSU's first TD on a 4-yard run. @@@@@@ ----If the AP don't like that they can sue me you say Matt was not a great QB . I wish he was still the QB but I do think that we will have another QB that I will like just as well as I like Matt . As much as I like the "Big Man " Davey he did not win the SECCG or a National Championship . I hope that the Tigers are wide awake this year . Every team will be up for the Tigers , that is a fact !! You say that the Gators will not beat the Tigers , well, they will be trying to prove that last years game was the real Fla Gators . It will be tough this year and I have typed more in this post than in all of my other post put together . So I will just type what I usually do. GEAUX TIGERS !!!!

6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

msully, you hittin the sauce tonight? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The whole ranking loses crediblility when you scroll down and see Ole Piss at #22 and Florida at #26. The Hotty Toddys won't be that good and the Gators won't be that bad.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I like their top 10, Michigan being the only team I believe is way overrated. Like Dothan says, they lost more than us, neither of their QB's has any experience to speak of, their RB's have very little experience and while disagreeing about their recruiting classes as they alwys have good ones IMO they do have more important holes to fill than we do.

9. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Didn't you hear? Michigan has never lost a game according to their fans....they were either cheated or didnt have enough time. :wink:

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I like where we are. 6-10 is perfect. :) :) :) :) :)