Colt David and Les Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Some folks were down on Colt David a few weeks back when he missed two field goals. I've been impressed how reassuring Coach Miles and the players have been to Colt. He's a great kicker building his confidence. Heck, he barely missed winning the Kentucky game with a 57 yard field goal try. Thanks Colt for all preparation you give toward each game. :thumb: :geauxtige:crystal::crystal:

2. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

What impressed me most.. when he missed that 57 yarder.. Les grabbed him laughing and was like 'Oh man that was close!'

The USF coach would have drop-kicked Colt for missing that 57 yarder.

:geauxtige

3. TC

TC Le Big Mac

As nicely as Les has treated Colt, there was a good reason the coach decided to let Matt throw a fade into the endzone with just a few seconds left.

4. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

Yeah, take one more shot before the field goal. Anything is possible on a field goal, block, bad snap, slip, etc. Great call!

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Absolutely. Did I think Miles knew there would be 1 second left after the catch? ugh....no, I think he didn't feel that the play would take quite so long from breaking the huddle to the time the play was whistled dead.

Hester said it best in a quote he made on Tigerbait.com that said something like: "I was blocking and didn't see the catch but I knew we scored because of the crowd noise. I looked up and saw 1 second on the clock and nearly had a heart attack!"

So, that just proves to me that, call it confidence, called it spaced-out if you will, but I think our offense (and the coaching staff) has a LOT of confidence in themselves when a game is on the line, that they weren't in panic mode with the clock like other teams might have been, but they just didn't anticipate 1 second left.

Possibly a SLIGHT miscalculation on the time management by the staff....but, hey! 22-yard TD pass to win the game with 1 second left on the clock? I'll take it EVERY time! :thumb:

6. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

I don't know why everyone is calling it only one second left on the clock. If you watch the live replay there was actually 3 seconds left after the catch was made. The clock went a little long and upon review they would have put more time on the clock for a field goal. That's not to say there could have been an interception, a tipped ball, QB sack, etc. Bottom line is it was a Les Steel Balls call. Byrd actually made the call waving up to the press box that we was not being covered. The coaches saw it and made the call. Championships are won on gutsy play calling among other things.

:crystal::crystal::helmet: