Commuting

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, Apr 23, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Pretty interesting article here about commuting, and just how much people are doing it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12438812/site/newsweek/

So do you commute a lot? Any thoughts on this?

My wife and I were both commuting at least 40 minutes each way, and finally had enough of it. One day it rained, and it took about an hour and 15 minutes to get to work. We decided to sell our house, and move into the city that day. That's one of the best decisions I've ever seen...commuting less than 10 minutes is just awesome -- especially in a city as big as Houston.

I'm curious to see about your commutes, or your overall thoughts as to this topic's significance. Especially in light of the hubbub about gas prices...

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

When I work from my office it is a 15 minute commute from where I live to mid-town Atlanta. One of my major clients is 30 miles away, and against the grain of traffic. I go there about 60% of the time I spend in Atlanta. It can take 2 hours to drive out there, and 2 to drive home. What sucks about my line of work is that there is nothing I can really do to avoid a commute. I have clients all over the city, and if I live closer to one that just makes the commute to the others worse.

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I have about a 45 min drive to and from base everyday. Sure, it sucks, but my car gets pretty good gas mileage and I live in a great neighborhood. Besides, where my base is located (Milton, FL), I don't think I could survive one minute living up there, unless I had a family. But since I'm single, I'm staying close to the beach and the bars. :D

4. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I live 4 miles from work. My office is about 15 miles north of Jackson. I've considered a bicycle or a motorcyle (I've got a 14 mpg gas guzzling Ford), but I live out on a crappy county maintained road with people driving like maniacs. My wife has a 43 mile commute to work one-way. Her company has several offices around the state with one office about 12 miles from our house, but her department happens to work out of the other office. We talked about it this morning and she's going to ask her boss about working out of the closer office a couple of days a week. Probably won't happen, but if not, time for her to start looking for a new job closer to home we think. Gas is bad now, but once hurricane season arrives, I'm afraid it will continue to climb even more every time a tropical depression forms in the gulf.

5. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I live over 4000 miles from work. You should see my commuting bill

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I lived just off campus for many years and walked to work and home for lunch every day. This is ideal. But then I bought a house in Hundred Oaks which is just too far to walk in a Louisiana summer without having to shower and change clothes.

It is only a 10-minute commute, but I'm wearing out my truck with short trips and I've gained 20 pounds because I haven't been able to put that 5 miles a day of walking back in my schedule.

As long as I'm working, I'm going to stay close to work. I would hate a long commute. But when I retire . . . then I may move back to the country for the clean air and quietness.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

The rec center is your friend red.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Indeed, but complacency is my enemy! :grin:

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I live about 2 miles off campus. I would hate to have to drive far to work every day. I would feel like the 2 hours of my life were wasted.

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

7 minutes to my kids' school via the loop, 10 minutes dropping them off and talking to the teachers, then 5 minutes to work at the hospital. I put 400-500 miles a month on my truck.