Conferences Cancelling Games This Fall

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Jul 10, 2020.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

lol, I've seen her in person, pretty close up,.. she makes me happy in my pants too

she almost lost her scholarship because of this photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    fanatic, APPTiger and el005639 like this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

My bad, sorry.

I edited the title some

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I was feeling good about it until I listened to a bit of Paul finebaum yesterday.... per the convo the supposition is that conference only games will get pushed back and ultimately cancelled as well. They cite ‘no good news now about Covid’ etc....

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Perhaps, the bright side will be that no college football will piss off enough people so that we can get our shit together and quit acting like the sky is falling.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Notre Dame getting the big banana.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Couldn’t happen to a better team. Supposedly the ACC going to include them as much as they can

7. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

This will be financially catastrophic to the lesser conference teams who count on big paydays playing Power5 schools.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  8. GiantDuckFan

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/j...y-developments-for-the-pac-12-conference.html

The vote to go to a conference-only schedule was the worst-kept secret in some time. The Pac-12 followed the Big Ten’s lead on that one. Given that Oregon (which had Ohio State on the schedule) and Washington (booked to play Michigan) now had open dates, I wonder if the conference had much choice.

Also, it was inevitable that Power Five Conference members with deeper pockets would soon realize that some of the other non-conference opponents just weren’t going to be able to budget for testing protocols that would match the larger institutions.

Portland State, for example, was scheduled to play both Arizona and Oregon State this season. The Vikings planned to test its football players upon arrival to camp, but after that initial coronavirus test the Big Sky Conference member would only test if the players were symptomatic.

There’s a financial hit looming.

PSU was scheduled to receive $550,000 to play Arizona and another $400,000 to play at Corvallis. It’s why Vikings’ athletic director Valerie Cleary was closely following the news this week. Now, like a lot of other small-conference administrators she’ll be lawyered up, closely studying force majeure case law.
    So will Hawaii, presumably, which was set to make $1 million to play at Autzen Stadium this season.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  9. GiantDuckFan

Notre Dame already has lost three games from its 2020 schedule. (USA Today)

As college football begins to go conference-only, BYU sees its football schedule evaporating. (Deseret News)

Stanford will cut 11 varsity sports programs after 2020-21 academic year
    https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/07/stanford-will-cut-11-varsity-sports-programs-after-2020-21-academic-year.html

Utah takes a meat cleaver to the athletic budget even before Friday’s announcement about the non-conference schedule. (Salt Lake Tribune)

10. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

ACC will help fill ND schedule

You think? We were supposed to get $1.25 million for Wisconsin this year. Would have been nice boost for a small school on a tight budget. Anyway, with all these sports getting eliminated, it looks like they have added dodge ball. A new way to get out of playing APP STATE. And yes, I stolle this from a Wisconsin sports writer. They skeered.

GiantDuckFan likes this.