Confessions of an agent

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Oct 12, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I hate long reads but this one I found quite interesting.

Read more: Confessions of former NFL agent Josh Luchs - SI.com - Magazine

2. LSUTiga

Good to know some refused it:

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Back then this and recruiting violations were rampant. Read the book about Switzerland at OU. And it was like that everywhere. So this is not sup rising. Iknow that was well before this stuff. But glad no lsu players so far.

4. LSUTiga

[​IMG]

I bet there are plenty more USC ones. I remember recently reading where USC fans were criticizing PC for allowing reps around the team (practices and locker room).

Not one to make accusations without something to validate it but when it becomes so rampant it's easy to see where it could become more rampant and easy to turn a blind eye to.

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

do we really want to hear these stories or is it better to just be in the dark....just thinking out loud

6. jreed999

jreed999 Founding Member

Holy Crap that was an interesting read...

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I think we need to hear about it. The NCAA needs to keep the BCS on equal footing. If some teams cast their eyes away, and some teams are paid and others are not, the paid teams will win all the time, the fans will lose interest, and the game will lose its magic. How frustrating is it to watch USC win it all, then find out they were doing something not everyone else was doing. It makes that whole season seem like it was a waste, competing on an uneven field.

I do think the university should pay all the scholarship athletes a stipend of $400 a month, for kicking around money. The football programs bring in plenty of cash.

8. LSUTiga

Don't confuse this with what Bama was doing with boosters dumping loads of moolah on recruits. These are players already there/playing. They're not being paid to attend the school, and the school/boosters aren't paying them.

Why not let NFL agents, it would solve the problem and they're the one at risk.

I guess it's like some who'd want to know if their spouse was cheating; others would prefer not knowing.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I know it went on in the past...even at LSU. There were rumors when I went to school there in the 80's. Lots of them...the whole smoke and fire thing. I'd imagine it's been a lot more scrutinized now. I'm of the belief that athletes should get some kind of stipend. Sure they get a scholly but much of their time is spent in work-outs and training they have zero time for a part time job for "kicking around" money. Athletics could be seen as the student job so many of us non-athletes get while attending school.

But I'm against unscrupulous agents preying on those guys...all the more reason the athletic programs should provide some sort of help. It may turn back a lot of the temptation to take something under the table.