Confidence on the rise at AU...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Mar 17, 2004.

1. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

How about the guy saying AU wins by 10!? That's not predicting a win??? Or the guy saying can't wait to take it to the corndogs. You had a better team this year than you will have next year. Sorry Auburn fans, you should have fired Tubbs this offseason.

2. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

Sorry, I missed the one guy. And I completely ignore the corndog crap. I know where it came from but its stupid, so I ignore it. And the LSU guys that post over at WEN joke about the whole corndog thing, so I didnt think that it was still such a "touchy" issue. Trust me Ive seen AU fans called worse than a corndog over here. 30 something year old men still calling each other corndogs and all manner of other things is rather humorous to me.

I was commenting on the general feel of the ENTIRE thread that dhead posted, not just one or two random comments made. Statistics certainly wasnt my favorite class, but I learned enough to know that there will always be one or two in a crowd. ;)

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

3. DDTigerFan

I just don't think that Auburn will have that good of a team. They showed me nothing last year, and you guys lost plenty off of that defense of yours. I have no reason to believe that Campbell will develop into a good quarterback and I feel that once your running offense becomes grounded by a good D like ours, you have no shot.

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Here was the original post that led to some of the content posted by dhead. There are probably some fond memories for fans of both teams here, but of course, that wasn't pointed out by someone whose intent is to skew the opinion of others.

Who else is glad that we are playing LSU early once again??? - by aumurph
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is not at all intended to say that I think we have a better chance to beat them earlier in the season...

This is actually meant just as a fact that for a while from 92-00, we always played them within the first 4-5 games of the season, and it was almost always a great early season game (it used to be the same weekend as UT-UF, UA-Ark). It was a "measuring stick" game, if you will. It just seems like the appropriate time to be playing them.

There were some great games (in general, and for AU). For example...

1992 - AU was up 27-7, and then a Frosh QB named Jamie Howard stepped in for LSU and promptly drove them down the field for three TD's to give them the lead late, 28-27. AU got the ball back, and drove down the field, and with a last second field goal attempt, Scott Etheridge kicked one through to win the game for the Auburn Tigers, 30-28.

1993 - The final score was 34-10, but two stories mean more than the game... Stan White broke the Career Passing leader mark in that game, and it was also the first time since 1939 that AU had won in Baton Rouge.

1994 - The Interception Game... Riding a 14 game winning streak, Auburn was looking to demolish LSU that day, and that didn't happen. When it looked like we could do nothing offensively (3 points) our D stepped up. Chris Shelling recovered a fumble in the endzone for our only TD in the first half, but then the Fourth Quarter began. LSU was up 23-9 when Jamie Howard dropped back and threw a perfect strike... to Auburn Safety Ken Alvis, who promptly returned it to three yard line, had his legs cut out from underneath him, and crawled into the endzone for a TD 23-16, LSU. The next series Howard went over the middle again, and found Auburn Nickle Back Fred Smith, who also took it down the sideline and dove in for the TD, 23-23. LSU didn't quit, and drove down inside the AU 5 yard line, but was held to a FG, 26-23, LSU. Auburn, tired of a stagnant offense, had tried a young QB named Dameyune Craig, and this worked as well as every other offensive idea that day, so Auburn punted. LSU, facing a 3rd down, decided they were not going to sit on their butts, and decided to throw for it (ooops!). Auburn LB Anthony Harris tipped the ball, and Auburn saftey Brian Robinson picked it off and ran down the same sideline as Smith had about 5 minutes beforehand. TD Auburn 30-26. LSU still didn't quit, and drove down again. Brian Robinson picked another one over the middle, but coughed it back up to LSU. LSU, with their newfound breath, tried a heave down the left sideline, but Chris Shelling leaped into the air and picked off the 5th pass of the 4th quarter. He crumpled to the ground with the ball - his legs had cramped up - but it didn't matter. The Auburn Offense marched onto the field for the sweetest play in college football, taking a knee. Final 30-26, Auburn.

1995 - The Magic is Back (and phantom whistle)
    Auburn was a preseason top 5 team, and LSU was just looking for respect. In a defensive battle, Auburn managed 2 FG's, as the defense repelled LSU from the endzone time and time again (Dell McGee's pick and return from the 1 yard line). LSU had scored a lucky safety early as a fan in the crowd had blown a whistle when Auburn was inside their own 5 yard line. Nix stopped, and the LSU defensive end slammed him to the turf. Confusion ensued, but LSU got 2 points, and the ball. Auburn drove late in the game, down 12-6, and was deep in LSU territory with little left on the clock. On 4th down, Nix threw for the corner of the endzone, and it was picked off by LSU. Final, 12-6 LSU.

1996 - The Barn Burner.
    Auburn had not scored an offensive TD against LSU since 1993, and early on, it didn't look good again. During the 2nd quarter, the old Barn (then used for Gymnastics) next to the stadium caught fire and the flames were so high, they could be seen from inside the stadium. It was a back and forth defensive battle, and poor special teams plays hurt Auburn. Auburn missed three field goals that night. Also, on one series, the Auburn defense held LSU to 4th and 8 and a FG attempt, which sailed wide, but there was a flag on the play - offsides, Auburn. 4th and 3, LSU lines up for another FG, this time it's good, but another flag - offsides Auburn. 1st and 10 LSU - They took it in for a TD. Craig gets knocked out of the game, and in comes... Jon Cooley. His play was sporadic, but late in the game he threw a pass down the right sideline for a TD to make the game 17-15 LSU. Any one of the missed FG's would have put Auburn in the lead, but we had to go for 2. It was picked off and returned all the way for 2 points for LSU, 19-15 LSU. Auburn recovered the onside kick and drove deep into LSU territory again. If the 2 pt conversion had not been picked and returned, a FG attempt would have won it, but that was not the case. Cooley tried to throw for the score, but it, too was picked off to seal the game for LSU (a pick ended the AU-LSU games for 3 years in a row).

1997 - Cecil the Diesel steals the show, but not the game.
    In a game that defied conventional wisdom, LSU racked up rushing yardage hand over fist, but came away with an L. The Dameyune Craig lead Auburn squad went up 14 early, but the bruising running of Collins brought LSU back, and put LSU up 21-14. Late in the game, with LSU holding a 28-24 lead, and gaining at least 6 yards every time they ran the ball, decided on a 3rd and 4 to try a pass. Herb Tyler was stopped for a 1 yard loss when he tried to scramble on the bootleg. LSU punted and Auburn got the ball on their own 20 with about 3:00 remaining. Craig, with the reliable hands of Hicks Poor, drove down the field and got inside the LSU 5. Rusty Williams, following a Fred Beasley block took it in on two runs with 30 seconds remaining. 31-28 Auburn. LSU got the ball with good field position, and with a couple of plays got in range for a 50+ yard field goal, which was blocked as time expired. Final 31-28 Auburn. Interesting stats - Collins ran for 232 yards that night, and his back-up, Rondell Mealey ran for another 130+ yards as well, but somehow Auburn won behind Dameyune's 300+ yards passing.

1998 -
    Not a big game, and was actually played between an eventual 4-7 LSU team, and a 3-8 Auburn team. AU put themselves into a hole early, and never really recovered. On the first play, Ben Leard threw a pick that was returned for a TD. On Auburn's next series, Michael Burks fumbled while trying to switch the ball in his hands. LSU recovered and drove in for another TD. Final 31-19, LSU

1999 - When it rains, it pours. (Cigar Game)
    In what could only be called an onslaught, Auburn drummed LSU 41-7. Highlights of the game included a fake field goal for a TD, and Ronnie Daniel's catch - run - hit - fumble - and recovery of the ball after three LSU defenders had a shot at it for the Auburn TD. To make things sweeter, Alabama lost to La. Tech that same day.

2000 - The Kick Return
    Auburn held the upper hand for most of the game, but LSU made it interesting when they scored on a long heave to Josh Reed to make the score 20-17, Auburn. But Tim Carter took care of that. On the ensuing kick, Tim returned it all the way to put Auburn back into a commanding 27-17 lead. Auburn scored late to make the final 34-17.

2001 - Postponed (Semi-finals of SEC tourney)
    Because of 9/11, the Auburn-LSU game was postponed until after the Iron Bowl. The winner of the game was guaranteed the SEC west title (UF and UT were playing the same night with same at stake). LSU, sparked by a pre-game flag, started the game with an onsides kick, and recovered it. It was all downhill from there. LSU scored, and with a suffocating D, held Auburn's offense in check except for a long bomb down the right sideline to Tim Carter, and a late, insignificant TD. Final 27-14 LSU

2002 - A$$whippun Part 1
    In a game of one-sided dominance, Auburn defeated 9th ranked (and #1 defense) LSU 31-7. Highlights included Karlos Dansby leaping in the air to bat a pass (about two yards from the QB), and coming down with a surprise pick. He also picked off a screen pass, and retuned in 60+ yards down to the 9 yard line. Final 31-7 Auburn.

2003 - A$$whippun Part 2
    In a game of one-sided dominance, LSU defeated Auburn (with 2 consecutive wins against top 10 teams) 31-7. Highlights include...not letting LSU score more? Final 31-7 LSU.

OK, this wound up being a lot longer than I intended, but was fun to write. (notice all games that occurred later in the season - 02, 03 - were blowouts) Now, I'm not saying that the timing of the games made them blowouts, but the game belongs early in the season, and I'm damn glad to see it there.

5. DDTigerFan

Thanks for posting the original caddyattack. I enjoyed reading that, especially the 2003 game's highlights "not letting LSU score more"

6. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

I can understand your point of view, but thats why you bleed purple and gold and I bleed blue and orange. We did lose some key players on defense, and Im interested in seeing how the new guys stepping up will perform. As for the offense, Im REALLY excited to see this new offense theyve been working on with the new OC. I cant tell you that itll work and be the best offense in the SEC and you cant tell me that it wont work and we wont score a point all season, we wont know until we can see it for ourselves once the season starts. But from all Ive read about Spring training it sounds like its coming along, and Ill be excited to see it in action.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

yes, you are correct, and for that I apologize.

But I believe in playing it straight, and letting the chips falling where they may..... and I have little respect for those who don't. If you must resort to inuendo, mistruths, and a tabloid-style play with words, then you must have a pretty weak point to make in the first place. And let me remind you, this is not the first such post of this nature by you dheadtiger.

8. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

9. DDTigerFan

Alright guys, I don't want to move this to Smack.

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I aint arguing DD, they start with the name callin and everything gets shifted to smack.