Confusion about Bowl matchups

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 14, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Isn't the rule that the top 6 in the BCS get automatic bids?

But at the same time, the SEC, Big-10, Big-12, Big East, ACC, and Pac-10 are also guaranteed BCS bowl bids.

In this scenario, you have the 2 at-large bids. We now have 3 teams in the top 6 vying for those 3 at-large bids (Cal, Utah and Texas). So at this point, it's whoever gets picked? Obviously not all 3 can get in.

The bowl projections show OU vs. Utah in the Sugar (should Auburn overtake OU for #2 in the BCS and play in the Orange).

I don't know about you, but there is no way in hell that the Sugar passes up taking Texas to play OU in a rematch. New Orleans would be filled to the brim with people from Ok and Tx.

2. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Good Point, I didnt think about that, but I think BCS Bowls will schedule conference games as Bowls.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah my point was that being in the top 6 in the BCS ratings mean absolutely nothing.

4. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Orange - USC v. AU
    Rose - Cal. v. Mich.
    Sugar - OU v. Miami or FSU or VTech whichever wins ACC
    Fiesta - BC v. Utah
    Is probably how it will work out

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Yep. Winning your conference is the most important unless you're OU... because you the the automatic the at-large-only helps teams like Texas b/c they are good but cant beat OU... or a Mich. that faulters to a team early but improves alot later on in the season.

6. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

If some faulter and Tex moves to 4 in the BCS top 6 helps them, cuz Mack has still never made it to a BCS bowl even though he has had worthly teams

7. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Texas isn't that good of a team. They lose to the better teams and prefer to play the Vandys, Rice and Bailors of college football. They should join the Ivy League.

8. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

I used to like the Horn, until the "Major Applewhite Fiasco"... they always field a decent team, thats what I was giving deference to.. not the fact that they always deserve a BCS bowl. But teams like Mich, Texas, Cal etc.. that get beat by the best team in their conference yet usually beat everyone else... that is what I am talking about if you dont like Texas insert... any other 2nd place team in a division with the clear best team in the conference...

9. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

BC vs Utah = ratings disaster

If Utah makes it the only thing that would intrigue me is playing a big time powerhouse such as OU to see how they really stack up. Seeing them against the 'big' East winner would blow.

10. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Seeing the Big East champ in a BCS bowl will Bleaux period.... but they will get the nod so what can you do