Congrats Randall BUT

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TomyDingo, Oct 20, 2002.

1. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

I am a huge supporter of Marcus Randall, and I think he really proved he is a great QB last night. My only problem is, it seemed to me that when he would drop back to pass, he would zone into the receiver that he wanted to throw the ball to, most QBs scan the field fine a WR and then throw it. Did you guys notice this too ?

2. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

sorry but I disagree with you on this one. That was Mauck that would zone in on one guy. Marcus seems to be able to spread the ball out alot better.

3. TomyDingo

yea no doubt, we actually got to see Myers and Robinson, which was nice. Maybe it was just the passes that i was actually looking for it that he did it.

4. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

Randall played great. He throws a really nice pass. I do get a little nervous when he runs, however. I don't think we can be successful with Rick Clausen at QB.

5. TomyDingo

MAN, from my view (in the student section) it looked like he only had 2 or 3 bad passes, a lot of the long passes were right on target, but dropped by receivers, he was VERY accurate! Was there more bad passes that I just didn't see ?

6. msully

msully Founding Member

quarter back

I think we are lucky we have three qb's and all three could start at other schools enjoy the talent !!!! That is too much to ask for msully said that did you hear

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

He is sort of correct. B/c Randell has little experience, they mostly ran roll out plays for him to throw to. It cuts the field in half and allow him to make 3 reads then tuck it up if no one is open. As he gains more time, they will do more drop back throws, taking advantage of the whole field.

I think the first 5 throws were all roll out plays. The coaches were trying to make him comfortable, roll out plays help with a mobile QB who hasn't throw all year in a game.

I think it is unfair to say Mauck stares down WRs, where do you get this. I have 4 of the games on tape and I don't see it. Mauck and Randell look similar, and remember SC is terrible against the pass. The coaches took advantage of this and made the passing easier for Randell to handle. Watch the tape again and you will notice Randell was put in the position to make those plays, not the other way around.

All that said, Randell did a great job of excuting Jimbo's plan. I bet he gets more freedom in the pocket next week. Auburn also has a weak pass D. Watch the Tigers use roll outs to begin the game, and then settle Randell into a more drop back mode.

8. ronbono

ronbono Founding Member

Randall

I don't know what you were looking at but I was watching him all night through the Brinocs and saw him consistently go from the primary to the secondary etc.

This kid is loaded w/ QB talent. Has a rocket arm.

9. TomyDingo

yea, i didn't have binocs, so i couldn't tell. This is a relief that it was only me that saw this.

10. BengalJim

BengalJim Freshman

Marcus Randall

Marcus Randall looked superb for his first start against a good football team. He threw nice, crisp passes and played with great compsure. I really though USC was going to go after him more. However, I give him an "A" on his first start.