Congrats, Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wesfau, Aug 10, 2004.

1. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Congratulations on the addition of Dameyune Craig to your coaching staff. I believe he was added as a GA. :thumb:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't see anything about him on the LSU website, yet. Thanks for the info.

3. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Here's the article posted on WEN. I don't have a link yet.

Craig an assistant at LSU
    Former Auburn and Blount star to coach QBs and defensive backs
    Tuesday, August 10, 2004
    By GLENN GUILBEAU
    Special to the Register
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU has hired an NFL Hall of Famer, sort of.

Former Auburn and Blount High School star quarterback Dameyune Craig has been hired by LSU coach Nick Saban's staff as a graduate assistant. He worked with defensive backs on Monday during LSU's first practice of the 2004 season but is expected to also work with quarterbacks.

Craig's helmet and jersey from the NFL Europe Scottish Claymores' team are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, because he threw for a pro football record 611 yards in a 1999 NFL Europe game. He completed 27-of-37 passes and five touchdowns in that game, a 42-35 win over the Frankfurt Galaxy.

The quarterback was in the NFL for four seasons with the Carolina Panthers from 1998 through 2001 and was released by the Washington Redskins in May of 2002.

In 1997 as a senior, Craig became the first Auburn quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards. LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher was Auburn's quarterback coach during Craig's career.

Craig is a native of Mobile as is LSU redshirt quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Craig led No. 12 Auburn on a 10-play, 80-yard drive in the final moments to beat No. 10 LSU 31-28 in 1997. He was 23-of-45 for 342 yards that night with no interceptions.

"Boy, the last time I was in here was Dameyune's great game in 1997," Fisher said when he walked into the visitor locker room in Tiger Stadium before the spring game last April. Fisher has stayed close with Craig since their days at Auburn.

"I never could understand why Dameyune didn't make it in the NFL," Fisher said. "I thought he was a can't miss."

Craig racked up 3,567 yards of offense in leading Blount to a state title in 1992. He later was a volunteer coach at Blount during the 2003 season. Russell went to Williamson and is the leading passer in Alabama high school history with 10,744 yards.

LSU began recruiting Mobile more when Saban and Fisher got to LSU after the 1999 season. Russell will be battling fellow redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Flynn and senior Marcus Randall, who is currently the No. 1 quarterback, for playing time. Defensive back Chevis Jackson of St. Paul's became LSU's second Mobile signee in two years last February.

As is often the case with LSU assistant coaches, Saban has not made Craig available for interviews. Craig was hired late in the summer by Saban. He is listed as a graduate assistant in the LSU media guide.

Monday's practice featured a majority of LSU's returning players as the Tigers worked out in shorts and helmets. The evening workout, again in shorts and helmets, saw LSU's incoming freshmen practice for the first time. "It was good to get out there with half of the squad, mostly the older half of the squad," Saban said after the first practice of the day. "The way we split the squad is not about the depth chart, it's about seniority."

LSU media relations confirmed to the Register Monday night that Russell practiced during the evening workout.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report)

4. freddy

freddy Founding Member

I remember that game very well. Cecil had his best game as a Tiger but Craig was very good as well. Auburn ran crossing routes that were wide open all night long. I wish him all the best here, he gets to learn from the best.

5. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member