Congrats to the Lady Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by weunice, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

this topic was on the radio the other day of just how good are women's basketball teams. the host believed that the men's intramural (sp ?) champion at any university would beat UConn or any other top notch women's team.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

As one of my coonass uncles used to say: " I don't bleeb dat".

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'd agree with that opinion...

I think the men's intramural champ at any MAJOR university (LA Tech included) could beat the best of the women's teams. I had friends from my intramural teams at LSU that were on some of the 'scout' teams that LSU's women would practice with and I've also played against some of the better women players LSU has had over the last 8 years. I GUARANTEE that my best intramural team (finished 3rd overall @ LSU twice) would win by 10 or so. I think it would be competitive but the post guys in the 6'6 range (which every good intramural team has) would wear down LSU's women. Sue's coaching would make it close and Augustus may still be tough to guard but women post players can't compete with talented, athletic MEN post players that have 2-3 inches already on the women.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I bet Temeka Johnson would be a hell of a lot of fun to chase around the court........she's quick.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

It's all subjective, but my opinion is there have been very few women's teams capable of beating halfway decent, or even poor, men's teams.

One exception; the 1997-98 Tennessee national championship team that went 39-0 and crushed everybody. THAT team could've beaten half the Division I men's teams in the country, I kid you not. They were THAT good. I have seen domination like that on a basketball court only one other time; the Bulls team that won 72 games a few years back.

6. LsuBruce

LsuBruce Founding Member

SabanFan

Just calling it like it is. BTW,...
    Sound familiar ?? You seem to enjoy analyzing but don't like to be analyzed.

You can say what you want on here, that's fine, but that street goes both ways. I feel like weunice deserves much respect without the salt and have a right to express that. If you want to irritate him then that's the difference between you and I. No biggie. :)

7. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

You have to be kidding me Jetstorm! That Tennessee team could not have beaten any of the Div. 1 teams most likely. The strength and athleticism of men compared to women is too much for any women's team to overcome. The other day during the game they were talking about how one of the LATech players was such an athlete and has a 28 inch vertical! That is compared to men out there with 40 inch verticals plus a huge height advantage and strength, well don't even go there. As Tony Kornheiser said, "No woman could even advance the ball to half court in the NBA."

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

To Bruce: In reality, I'm just a big ole puppy dog.:(

To DD: That was Jetstorm, not me. I do think, though, that the top womens' teams today can beat most, if not all, intramurals. JMO.

9. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Sorry about that Sabanfan, I changed it above.

10. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

In my opinion most of you who think the UCONN, Tennessee, and LSU's of the world couldn't beat a Intramural squad is totally stupid. If you think that the dominant women teams are basically scrubs you are ALL stupid. I am not a very big fan of UCONN but last year they had a point guard name Sue Bird. I am willing to bet that she could've schooled alot of point guards on any means team with the exception of the likes of the T.J. Fords of the world. I am by no means a real big women hoops fan, but I am a basketball fan, and this girls got more skills than most of you are giving them credit for the two best in the womens game in my opinion will meet in the final four if LSU wins tonight Diana Tarossy(I know that is not spelled right) and Semoine Augustus. I just wish most of you would wake up and realize that these girls are not out there because they have Title 9, but because they have skills. Are they as good as the means team. NO.... are the good as mens intramural teams the Dominant programs. YES they are.