Congrats to the Lady Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by weunice, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i remember back when Alana Beard was a senior in high school and still in shreveport.

i have a lot of friends that know her through AAU...etc

i remember a few of us guys scrimmaging her and her AAU team (one that had one some type of title...i never was big into aau..so i dont know what its called)...and we completely shut them down. it was pathetic.....they had no chance at all....this while they were running sets and plays...and we were playing nothing but trashy street ball.

also..i remember playing our "big time" state championship girls team in high school...they would go undefeated through out the season...slaughtering everybody....well...me and THREE other guys would beat them like 45-8 in scrimmages.

they were really good fundamentally sound girls (especially Alana Beard..of course). they knew what they were doing and how to do it....they just didnt have the physical ability to get it done.....their best chance was the motion offense..*hoping* to free up a desperate three point shot....anytime they brought it into the lane....they got the ball shoved down their throats :) sounds harsh, but true

so yeah, i think there are a lot of intramural teams that would slaughter the national champion girls team.....no question....have you seen some of the guys that play intramural basketball?? a lot of them are friggin monsters...no way they would lose

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Hey TigerLifer

I definitely respect the women, especially this year's LSU squad. There aren't many men who could keep up with T. Johnson and Augustus is definitely the real deal. My point was that intramural teams aren't your typical frat teams out there for fun. Most of the better men's intramural teams are made up of guys who played a year or two at a small college or JC and are better than they were when they played HS basketball. The LSU football team usually has an intramural basketball team (most played basketball in HS) and they never won the league when I was at school. However, I think they could beat the LSU women (even without Clayton/Spears). One of our better wins was against a team that had Doug Annison (played for LA Tech & LSU) as probably the 3rd best player on his team.

My only point is that these intramural teams can play. The women are good too but I don't see how a 6' Detrina White could do anything to stop a 6'6 skilled post player. I'm no superstar but I could always score on E. Powell. Also, the notion that a women's team could defeat ANY Div 1 team is absurd. The men from Arkansas would defeat LSU's women by 25+.

3. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

exactly, there are a lot of intramural players that are about on the level of say...Thomas Davis. they are really big and athletic...just not quite good enough to play big time div - 1 basketball.

im still on record saying that intramural squads would absoultly kill the national champion womens team....and even destroy last years uconn team.