Congratulations Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by r_bear42, Jun 15, 2003.

1. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

This team more than any Tiger team I can remember really did over achieved this season. I never expected them to win the SEC and certainly not make it to Ohama. Next season should be even better. With that said, I have a question. I'm not second guessing Smoke because I certainly don't understand all of the fine points of baseball but why bunt with 1st base open and a man on second with no one out? I know the reasoning behind it is to move the man to third but why not let the batter, particularly Hill, hit away. Understood that a line drive caught by an infielder could possibly catch the man on 2nd off base and turn into a double play but what are the odds of that happening twice in a ball game. The Tigers did that twice today against SC. Someone tell me what am I missing here. Oh by the way, I thought he left Pettit in a little too long also. Again congratulations for a job well done Tigers. :geaux:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I had the same thought. Personally, I would have let Hill hit with a man on 2nd and 0 outs. Unlike some, however (not you r_bear), I don't profess to be a coach and I assume Smoke had his reasons. And, it worked. Hill's bunt moved the runner to 3rd and he scored on a non-hit.

3. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

There are more ways to score from 3rd. 1-passed ball/wild pitch (no one scores from 2nd on that play
    2-sacrifice fly (again, no one scores from 2nd)
    3-infield hit (same)
    4-Balk
    To score from 2nd, it must be an outfield hit.
    plus, who would ever expect Hill to bunt? maybe by letting Hill bunt, he was hoping to maybe catch S.C by surprise.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And Hill was out by less than a half step.

5. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I agree with everything you have stated but in all four examples with the exception #4 in most cases the runner on 2nd moves to 3rd anyway, is in scoring position and maybe, just maybe hill gets a hit. If he does perhaps the runner on 2nd scores but at least he moves up to 3rd on Hills hit and you then have men on 1st and 3rd with no outs. I just believe with a hitting ball club like LSU has your chances of scoring is greater letting the man hit instead of bunting in that situation. Seldom after bunting is the runner safe at first. I guess I just like the bat in Hills hands hitting away in that situation.