Congress, big ballers.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Jan 12, 2015.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

LSUDad likes this.
  2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Sweet Jesus, Pride.....I think you found something we agree on! Those companies absolutely own America and the politicians have duped all of us into arguing the finer points of legislation and government action.

LSUTiga and shane0911 like this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Funny, GE paid no US taxes at all in 2010 and just pittance since then. They park hundreds of billions overseas. These multinational corporations use legal tax loopholes provided to them by Congress to avoid paying US taxes. They admit paying about 7% taxes internationally using this shell game to avoid taxes all over the world.

The big corporations own Congress and its just getting worse every time the right wing tosses out more campaign finance controls. It is past time to prohibit lobbyists on the Hill. The special access that lobbyists get to our representatives and the outright bribery through campaign contributions has them working for the corporations instead of their own constituents and putting the best interests of corporations over the best interests of the United States.

LSUDad, Tiger in NC and LaSalleAve like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It ain't gonna change, the only people who can change it are on the take.

LSUDad and LSUpride123 like this.
  5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

This sums it up so well we should just pass the collections plate and have the invitation.......

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

If you own most Mutual Funds, these stocks( GE, P&G, B of A, Microsoft and WF) are in them. In my Stock Portfolio, I have some of these, why not, they give you a return. G&I, Income Builder, etc most have a small % of these in them. Get an Annual Report from your funds, it will give you a listing of all these. With CD's paying so little, you have to use these funds to get a good return, along with other investments.

7. red55

Ahem. So what?

How does this excuse GE?

LSUDad likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Doesn't but like I say, "Go on, take the money and run!"

Why so many ships, tankers are registered in Panama, open a business office there and you pay no taxes.

Another good one to look at, how much of your car was made in America?

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page/made-america-car-american-made-13795239

Ford Trucks 60%
    Toyota Tacoma 70%
    Chevy Truck 61%
    Tundra 80%
    Dodge Ram 70%

Gonna change? I'm middle class and could use a tax break...
    Obama to unveil tax package at State of the Union
    David Jackson, USA TODAY 9:37 a.m. EST January 18, 2015
    [​IMG]

WASHINGTON — President Obama plans to use his State of the Union speech to target tax loopholes that benefit the wealthy, while offering new tax breaks for middle-class items like child care, White House officials said Saturday.

In the prime-time address Tuesday, the president plans to call for ending certain loopholes on trust funds, increasing the top tax rates on dividends and capital gains, and imposing new fees on big financial firms that borrow heavily.

Obama also plans to propose new tax breaks for families that have a second working member, child care and the costs of college education, according to a White House proposal.

He will propose a requirement for businesses that do not have a retirement plan to automatically enroll employees into individual retirement accounts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...state-of-the-union-loopholes-breaks/21914083/

9. red55

Yes, I know how mutual funds work, Mr. Wizard. Fund managers buy and sell securities based on potential profits or losses. I have no problem with this, it is cut and dried. I can't influence them and no one wants them basing decisions on what they imagine tens of thousands of customers politics are. Water and oil don't mix.

The issue I mentioned is corporate greed at the expense of the public best interests through undue influence of elected officials. Yes corporations have a responsibility to make the best reasonable profits for their owners, but they also have a corporate citizenship responsibility to pay their fair share of the expense of providing them with a huge market in a country with a huge economy, a stable government, and military protection. Its costs money and they owe their share.

Do you have an opinion on corporate greed and undue influence on our politicians for special favors?

Likewise, huge portions of foreign goods are made with American parts. It's an international economy. The ISSUE is multinational corporations avoiding paying their fair share of US taxes. International trade is is not a problem anyone has complained about.

I'm a citizen of the United States of America and I also have a concern with the financial heath of the country. If corporations are allowed to avoid their fair share of taxes, you are being cheated and your taxes will go up or the nation's debt will increase.

Obama sounds like your kind of kind guy, by George.

Doesn't this sound like a prudent policy to you? Fewer impoverished retirees made dependent on government aid. How can a Republican object to a worker relying on an individual retirement account rather than public housing and medicaid in retirement?

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Yep, I know where you're coming from. I just payed $1.69/gal for gas. If the gas has dropped that much, what about the price of everything else. Has anything else gone down in comparison? You've seen the list of products made from crude, just a guess, greed in full.

I also get the part about lobbying. As with anything in the world, follow the money.

I'll be in Mexico the next couple days. Meds. in full. You can get Amoxicillin, 500mg 100 pills for about $8.00, over the counter. Whats the cost in the US? Same with most drugs. The good part, I've bought the same products from the same manufacturing company, at a fraction of the cost.

Yea, I like, along with this one.......

"The package is designed "to simplify our complex tax code, make it fairer by eliminating some of the biggest loopholes, and use the savings to responsibly pay for the investments we need to help middle-class families get ahead and grow the economy," says a White House statement."