Congress looking to raise tax on oil to help pay to clean up spills

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, May 24, 2010.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

$0.32 a barrel? That's about $0.07 a gallon and it's for a fund that has already been created in response to the Exxon Valdez spill to handle cleanup costs not covered by the company when the costs hit the cap. I mean it's not going to be done for free and regardless of where it comes from, the trail of money will eventually lead to our pockets.

Unless some of you are suggesting that we just don't clean it up...

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

of course not. it should be paid for by the company that did the spillin. and if they choose to pass it on to their customers, their customers can decide whether to pay by deciding whether to purchase their product. if at all possible, i wont be purchasing any bp products.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Digging into our pockets will not help them.

No. Just don't make me pay for it.

And we all know how well they manage our money once they get their grubby paws on it.

Why don't we round up some illegal messicans to help clean this up?

1 person likes this.
  4. MLUTiger

Silly, silly people. Not everything BP sells has that bright green logo plastered on it. Try as you might it will be impossible for you to avoid buying BP products when they sell petroleum and roughly 90% of our existence is petroleum. Just look at the plastics alone. Rubber, gas, etc.

One way or another, you WILL be paying for it and you have no choice in the matter. I would have said you could get out of this buy dying right now, but your coffin would undoubtedly contain some form of a petroleum product, so that would have been false.

The mess has to be cleaned up. BP is only going to pay for so much. Someone is going to have to pay the rest. The fishermen can't do it. Louisiana can't do it. This tax puts the bill on ALL of the oil companies. When you people wake up from your dreamworld of unicorns and corporate integrity you will see that this is easily the best solution to ensure that funds will always be available for these disasters.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Excuse me while i go shoot myself...

6. OkieTigerTK

of course this mess has to be cleaned up, sherlock. and whoever is liable of the three companies working on the rig that blew need to be the ones paying for it. i dont give a flying f if they pay so much it hurts their poor little bottom line.

i guess you missed the part about heavy fines also. if an inspection shows something wrong, fine their ass. dont wait for an accident. of course, fine someone out the wazoo if there is an accident. and put all those monies aside in a clean up fund for future accidents.

maybe i cant avoid bp products all together. but i can do what i can to avoid what i can.

i dont have a lot of faith in "corporate integrity". i say hold people accountable that f' up, but dont punish those that get it right.

7. MLUTiger

There is a limit to how much BP will pay. They will not foot the entire bill. How do you propose that this is paid for?

8. OkieTigerTK

and just why shouldnt they pay?

why should they be allowed to say "this is all we will pay" instead of making them pay for their mess.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Then they should make Transocean, and Halliburton pay also.

10. OkieTigerTK

that i agree with. the point is, hold those that caused this responsible.