Cooking on open fire outside?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Oct 15, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The top is connected by "loops" on each one. I'll take some pics of it and post them for you as soon as I get a chance.

The most important thing, if you want to be able to move you pot off of the fire, is a foot on the rod that the burner grate slides into. When you swing it off it shifts the center of gravity some. I've seen some much less complicated yet still effective ones. For example, taller and with a chain/hook to hang pot from. I hit some small rods in holes in the foot but it is possible to cook on it without them if you're careful.

I will take pictures of it with the grate insert out and also with it in/rotated.

EDIT:
    Here's a pic of the top for you to see. We weren't using it at the time but you can see how he connected it. He also put a chain around with a clip to secure it to keep the legs from sliding. I'm not sure if it's necessary cause one time I cooked on it and forgot to fasten it. :hihi:
    [​IMG]

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Thanks. I'm going to make one soon. Promised Emma a weekend camp out of fishing and duck hunting.

1 person likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

Take her all you can, that's my soph in that pic and she used to come with me all the time then we hit a 4 year drought and last weekend was the first time in a long time. :hihi:

When she was younger and would come often I used to tell her when she got older she wouldn't want to fish with dad. She didn't believe me then and even though I knew a phase would ensue, man it stung.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

The rod isn't solid and here's a better pic of the top you asked about.
    [​IMG]

This just shows how the burner grate slides out
    [​IMG]

I like to have the option to take the pot off of the fire to have more options. Pots could always just be put on the ground too.
    [​IMG]

If you want it to rotate, the leg with the sleeve it slides into needs to be anchored and this is a pic of the flange.

[​IMG]

Even a piece of shyt like what's posted below can serve the purpose though.

[​IMG]

5. LSUTiga

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Thanks Tiga. I wish I hadn't have given all of my surplus materials away before moving here. Now I have to go buy some materials. Gonna make one in the next couple of weeks though. I'll post pics when I get it done.

7. LSUTiga

Yeah, be sure and let us see your creation. If you know an electrician you can probably score some leftover conduit from his scraps leftover from jobs.

If you have to buy anything, you may be better off just buying one since you can pick 'em up for very little. In fact after my father-in-law and I had looked at them online for diagrams to make one, I told him if they were that cheap I'd just buy one but he made one anyway.

Here's a pretty neat one you can make without even having to weld on it and it breaks down completely.

Take-apart Camping Cooking Tripod.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I must camp in wussy campgrounds, because they all have built in fire pits at them. Everyone from primative, to private, to gov't has fire pits, picnic tables, and H2O. This is over a 6 state area; NV, UT, CA, AZ, and NM. As long as it is an organized campground they have the facilities.

9. LSUTiga

Nah, some of the places I go have some of those too but I like to go to more remote places. With my line of work it's hard not to run into kids I've had or their parents and I like to hit the woods to get away and just be alone sometimes. I also have a habit of making myself a lot of trouble when I do things and have to complicate everything but I like my "toys".

I do bring my own folding table to clean my fish on though. Those old wooden picnic tables are so full of bacteria and what not...you know some of the things that go on atop of those things... don't you. :D

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I wouldn't know what alone is, it is always family in tow. Love to take the boys camping and fishing. Some day they might actually learn to sit with their poles, rather than just put them in the stands and go running off. They have no idea how many fish they have actually caught. Daddy can be a thief sometimes. Although, they always get the credit for the catfish. They tend to be too small to keep.:yelwink2:

Well, luckily, out here they aren't the wooden type, but that is what tarp is for. And yes, it's been awhile, last time I can remember was on the picnic tables at Money Hill, back in the day.:thumb:

1 person likes this.