Cooking with a wooden spoon

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Nov 30, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Years ago my dad made a comment to me that I thought was somewhat overly confident- which was out of character for him. He told me if I ever used a wooden spoon I'd never go back to metal.

Be dam if I didn't try one and now it's essentially all I use. I say "essentially" cause, like right now, the ones I have no longer have a good edge on them for scraping the "brownings" to make the gravy.

I have a hard time finding the ones I use cause I'm left-handed and most have a right-hander's angle on them. When I find some that are square-ended I pick up several. There's a place near Academy in Lafayette that usually has them. I think it's a Target.

Anyway, do any of you use wooden spoons? The metal ones actually wear the bottom of magnalite pots. If you look at the old ones you can notice the wear from metal-to-metal.

And by "spoon" I'm galking about one like this, kinda. The style I like is a little different but this one is close.
    [​IMG]

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Wooden spoons, spatulas, etc almost exclusively. I will break out the silicone spatula for a lot of things that don't require scraping.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I use wooden spoons for just about everything. I must admit to using silicone and non-stick for eggs.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Isn't there a sanitation issue with wooden spoons? I remember someone saying something like that. Even when washed, the bacteria are still there in the porous wood as opposed to a plastic or metal spoon/spatula.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

That's just more seasoning brah.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I thought everyone used wooden spoons and the rubber/plastic spatulas. Didn't realize there was any other way.

GregLSU likes this.
  7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Wood naturally repels disease and when wooden utensils are made, they're rubbed with mineral oil which does not allow bacteria to really develop. You should be good with wooden stuff. I would hand wash, though.

LSUTiga and gyver like this.
  8. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

People have cooked with wooden spoons for most of human history. It can't be killing us. The plastic particles and chemicals we ingest from teflon utensils and plastic packaging is probably worse for us.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Whatever dude. My Aunt Becky passed away last year after eating from a wooden spoon.

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Drug resistant bacteria is around today because we use antibacterial soap and plastic/metal spoons.

LSUTiga likes this.