Cool website could use some help (LSU/USC)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger Trey, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

The Helmet Project ( http://inside99.net/HelmetProject/ ) is a neat site with helmet images and history for nearly every pro and college team ever fielded. I think that he's missing a design from the late 60s/early 70s LSU collection (Bert Jones era?). I believe that the design included a tall, narrow rectangle with the Tiger logo either above or below it. I can't find a picture to prove this and I hope that I'm not out to lunch on this. If you have a picture showing any different Tiger helmet design than his listing, send it to the Helmet Project following the instructions on their homepage.

This site also has a few questions about the Gamecocks variations in helmet design over the years.

2. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

Strangely enough, I just discovered this website today. It is a cool site. I think they have it accurate as far as helmets worn on the field are concerned. The LSU helmets had numbers on the side until 1972 (Bert Jones' senior season), when they went with the small Tiger head inside a purple circle, and a tiny "LSU" below it. I've seen the rectangular design you mentioned (I had the same decal as a kid), but only in posed photos, not in game action. I even recall a picture of Jones holding that helmet, probably in an old media guide. The design was altered for the actual game helmets. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any photos to prove this, but I do remember it. The current design (bigger LSU logo, Tiger head with no purple circle) came along with Jerry Stovall in 1980.