Corbin removes name

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Coach Tim Corbin removed his name from consideration for the LSU baseball job. The list is really getting narrow. If Wells wants the job it is probably his, unless Horton changes his mind and decides to an interview. If Wells decides to stay at Alabama Skip may want to start looking at Division AA coaches who have established a strong winning program. Just a thought.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I don't think that Skip would have to dip down to 1-AA to find a coach. Pawlowski would take this gig in a heart-beat even though he's a D 1-AA coach at CC. Additionally, I would think that if Skip showed interest in either Leggett from Clemson or Casey from Oregon State that both would seriously consider the job. There are probably about 15-20 coaches from 1-A that would come to LSU--easily. But are any of them that much better than what Smoke was?

There are a lot of great coaches in 1-AA--Mitch Gaspard for example. But, I think that that would be an even greater gamble than going with Pawlowski.

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

The very public interview process Skip has undertaken puts a bunch of pressure on the currently employed coaches. Their schools are not fond of waiting 4 weeks to find out if their coach is leaving or not so I don't blame Corbin for pulling out.

Bertman better have Wells already in hand or this is going to get uglier than it already is.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

For the record, there are no 1-AA teams in college baseball ... just Div I, II and III. I think 1-AA only applies to football. CC, NW State, McNeese, Southern, etc., are all Div I baseball schools.

I think Skip would return to the dugout before hiring an unproven coach.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

If we have to settle for Wells I think that we just took two steps back instead of one step forward. What has Wells done at Alabama that is so extraordinary? That's a rhetorical question, please don't answer... Furthermore, the style of baseball Bama plays would be, at most, one step more exciting than what Smoke's style was. Is LSU's situation such that a coach who has had only marginal success at another SEC school could come in and do much better than a coach who already proved that he could win in the SEC--albeit without much enthusiasm or prowess? I'm starting to think that this whole coaching "fiasco" is solely to put butts in the seats. :dis:

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I think he meant 1-AA as in the school itself. You know how everyone thinks of, say, Miami as a D-1 school and Appalachian State as a 1-AA just because of prominence or whatever. But yeah...

7. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

?? Is there another application for the term "I-AA" to a school other than college football? Just curious...really

Because of football?

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

No, I don't think there is an official one. I think it just applies to football, but I know that me and a few others (incorrectly, I presume) refer to these schools as 1-AA schools. It just stems from football and being able to differentiate between schools like LSU and schools like Nicholls, for instance.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Corbin likely pulled out because Skip politely let him know early that he wasn't going to be offered the position. It gives him the opportunity to "withdraw" to placate his own fans.

The same thing happened when Petrino interviewed for Nick's job and was told "no thanks". He "withdrew his name from consideration".

10. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

The Advocate today said as Bertman asked him to come in for a 2nd interview, he declined and withdrew his name. Nobody wants to keep their school on hold for a month or 2. It doesn't look good so I don't blame him.