Corbin removes name

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Of course it was. Skip had no problem with Smoke's winning percentage, he was completely willing to defend it. However, you can't argue with attendance. We need the attendance to support the new stadium project.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in baseball, if you're an "A", you're D-I. That's I-A and I-AA--they all compete on the same level.

You only drop a class when you go to D-II.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Right, baseball is like basketball where there are a ton of Div I teams. Schools (like Southern) that are Div I-AA in football are Div I in baseball and basketball.

There are 3 divisions for all NCAA sports ... I, II, III. For some unknown reason to me, they split up Div I football into I-A and I-AA.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

IMO, that would never fly. One for the reason you are talking about of egos. Two, if there was a disagreement of coaching philosophy, who would the team listen to. It would cause confusion for the players. Which also ties into the third reason. Loyalty. If the players see the coach as the leader of the team, can they equally give loyalty to two coaches? If there is a personalty difference, will some players favor one coach over another, causing division within the team? And the fourth reason, you briefly hit on. Getting Skip to pony up the $ for one good coach will be hard enough. Two? Now you are asking the impossible!

Coaches are in Omaha the same way basketball coaches go to the final four. It's a perk, a great way to network, and the place to be seen. Skip is there not only to be there, but it is a great way to be where a lot of coaches are to talk to a lot of them.

5. ragincajun1987

ragincajun1987 Founding Member

If I were Skip and Horton is definitely, positively not a possibility, I'd stick around until the end of the CWS and try to speak to the coaches from North Carolina and Oregon State. Both of them have worked wonders with historically creampuff programs, and you can't tell me that LSU wouldn't be a major step up for either one of them.

6. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

I think the guy from UNC is an alum and waited like 15 years to get that job. I don't see him as wanting to leave. The Oregon State coach we would have to pony up for as the program up there doesn't make enough money to get in a bidding war with us.

7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Wells would have been a great catch. Unfortunately he removed his name from consideration today. I suspect that gives Pawlowski the inside track - unless Horton changes his mind, which is very doubtful.