Corey Raymond?(recruiting)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TwistedTiger, Jun 17, 2015.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I know when it comes to DB's the LSU name recruits by itself, but I'm surprised Raymond hasn't received more credit. Miles is an OL guy, Chief was a LB guy and so is Steele, yet LSU continually loads the boat at DB year after year. This article started me thinking about it and wondering if maybe he deserves more credit or if other assistants really do play a bigger role in DB recruitment. When it comes to recruits, are they really swayed more by who is assigned to recruit their area or does the actual position coach hold more clout? Maybe some of the board recruiting gurus can chime in. The article really speaks well of Peveto and less of Raymond although he is favorably mentioned. Any way I thought it might be a good topic for off season discussion.
    http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/LSUs-recruiting-staff-on-a-roll-37805845

LSUMASTERMIND and LSU John like this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

BD Peveto, his father Ed and brothers are well know in college and high schools all over the South. They are well know in Tx, and with the name LSU, that pulls weight. It helps to have the high school coaches on your side.
    A quick story that a friend told me. Bradley Dale's brother Garey was the Head Track and Field coach also and Asst. Football Coach at New Waverly High in Tx. Not know as a powerhouse in the track and field before he arrived. From his Obit:
    Career accomplishments include coaching 23 State Meet Qualifiers and 4 State Championship Relay Teams. Other track honors include 18 Gold Medals, 3 District Championships, 1 Regional Championship, 1 State Runner-up and 1 State Championship. In football, he coached in 13 playoff games during his 17 year career. His service was held in the New Waverly Football Stadium, once it was nearing the end, some of his track students took a baton, went around the track, and then placed it inside his coffin, it was then closed. Only fitting.

As for Raymond, he's a great recruiter, it was know when Nebraska needed someone to close on a kid, Corey was sent in. Good coach and great recruiter.

This staff works well with kids, Les also does very well with recruits.

A note on the staff:
    LSU has No. 1 recruiting class in country
    [​IMG]
    Hunter PaniaguaTigerSportsDigest.com
    LSU's recent surge on the recruiting trail — seven commits in less than three weeks — has pushed the Tigers to the top spot in the country.

LSU's unprecedented run of recruiting success has given the Tigers the No. 1 recruiting class in the country.

The Tigers have landed seven commits within the last three weeks, the two most recent coming from OLB/DE Erick Fowler and Rahssan Thornton. Those last two pledges helped push LSU past Ohio State for the current top spot in the national team rankings.

National Team Rankings | LSU Commit List
    LSU's class sat outside the Top Five heading into the Bayou Picnic last month. That's when Andraez Williams committed and set off the recent surge of commitments that has also included — Glen Logan, Caleb Roddy, Andre Anthony, Jakori Savage, Fowler and Thornton. Three of those seven prospects rank within the Top 300 overall recruits nationally.

LSU not only leads the country in the total number of points used to rank teams' recruiting classes. The Tigers are also No. 1 in stars-per-commit at 3.88. LSU is the only school in the country with two five-stars committed — Ed Alexander and Saivion Smith — and LSU is also tied with the second-most four-star commits (10).

LSU has five commits ranked within the Top 100 nationally, also tied for second most.

The class should only get stronger from here. There are still eight recruits in Louisiana with LSU offers ranked in the Top 300 nationally, and several other out-of-state recruits heavily favoring the Tigers.

That highly regarded Class of 2014 had a lot of starpower but still finished No. 2 behind Alabama. Perhaps 2016 is the year LSU can take the top spot for the first time since Scout began ranking classes in 2002.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I've said it before, I went to high school with Cory. He is a great dude, he was then and I'm sure he is now. I haven't seen or talked to him since he was with the Giants but when I did he was still the same humble and great guy I knew in high school. I can only imagine that hasn't changed and that he is still the same "real" guy he has always been.

Tiger in NC, LSUDad and cajdav1 like this.
  4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Like Dad says this entire staff that we have now are darn good recruiters. In my opinion the lead recruiters have the most impact on a recruit but the coordinators and position coaches also play a huge role. Add in Coach Frank and Les to close the deal. I'd also have to guess that it is pretty easy to show these recruits how much better most all of our DB's have gotten while at LSU under Raymond's tutelage, so yes he does have a huge impact even if he isn't the lead recruiter on a kid.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I was at a football camp last Saturday, talked with a number of people. Got to talking with one if the Dads, his son was just a high school Freshman. The Dad and Kid had been to camps at a&m, UT, UH,Rice and Baylor. Next stop, LSU, talking with the Dad, the kid plays RB and DB, they are both aware of Les, Frank and Corey, the kid still has a number of years before he sees college. Both really like Les and the staff at LSU.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Too much goes into recruiting, take Texas, it has it's own problems, as I said before, they had people that wanted Mack Brown, people that wanted Strong and people that didn't know what they wanted. Right now Strong is fighting an uphill battle. Too many things can get in the way. Mack for years has let the recruiting services do his job, call it what you want, but that's it. They followed the star system. Look at Jalen Mills and the Echols kid from UT, one will get drafted in the early rounds, the other, has a problem starting. Yep, Mills wasn't even the best DB on his high school team. What came into play, the LSU Staff knowing who was the better player, or coaching, or a little of both. Remember Mills started at LSY right out of high school. Echols I think hadn't started a game.

Now back to strong, anyone want to guess what college had the most players drafted this year? Yep, Jimbo and Fla St. 11 kids drafted. Want to guess what college was second? 10 players from Louisville. Followed with 8 fr Fla. So Strong does know talent and can coach, will he get the time?

I was at Langham Creek High School a few weeks back, there were a number of college coaches there with me watching players. Got word the BD Peveto was coming in to offer a kid. Yep, LSU coaches carry some weight at many schools. I talked with a few college coaches there, the word is, if LSU offers, their chances free fall.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU makes a move on 5-star DE Shavar Manuel during visit
    [​IMG]
    LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond. (LSU Sports Information)
    [​IMG] By James Smith, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

on June 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    [​IMG]
    LSU wrapped up a small, but important recruiting weekend as it hosted five-star cornerback commitment Saivion Smith, his father, five-star defensive end Shavar Manuel, and his uncle.

The duo is considered to be two of the premier prospects in the state of Florida, with Manuel making his first trip to Baton Rouge this weekend. LSU has quietly crept up his leader-board, but after this weekend, it's no longer a secret that the Tigers are in the mix.

The two spent nearly all weekend with LSU coaches, most notable defensive backs coach Corey Raymond, who is the lead recruiter for the IMG Academy standouts. When not with the staff, the two hung around a lot of current LSU players.

LSU standout sophomore defensive lineman Davon Godchaux spent a lot of time with Manuel, giving him a good read on what to expect as a freshman defensive lineman at LSU. Those conversations could prove to be vital as Manuel, much like Godchaux in 2014, wants to make an impact as a true freshman.

LSU safeties Jamal Adams and Jalen Mills have befriended Saivion Smith during prior visits, and they spent a lot of time around the prep teammates as well. Sources felt that LSU was in a good spot with Manuel prior to his visit, but see the Tigers as real threats now that he has departed from Baton Rouge. His uncle, one of the most influential family members in Manuel's life, was very comfortable with what he witnessed during his stay. LSU will now focus on getting Manuel's aunt, another influential person in his life, on campus in the near future.

There was a lot of chatter that Manuel may have committed to LSU this weekend. That's not the case, although sources say there was certainly some discussion about him being a Tiger. The LSU staff has a great understanding of how difficult it would be to secure a signature from the highly sought after Florida standout, and remain optimistically cautious about their standing with the 6-3, 290-pound prospect.

The duo are not expected to be back for LSU's July prospect camp, with IMG Academy starting its football schedule on July 20, but there is a possibility they could make it back to campus prior to that date, although it doesn't seem likely right now. Expect them to take official and unofficial visits to campus once the season starts, though.

dudley likes this.
  8. dudley

dudley oops!

Each year the Austin American-Statesman publishes a ranking of the top 55 players in Texas called the Fab 55. For a while during Brown's tenure, and I don't know the exact dates, the list was compiled by a 30 something young lady on the paper's staff. I always thought it went like this. The paper published the list, the recruiting websites gave a lot of weight and stars to the list and Brown recruited from his office using these rankings. Basically Brown was relying on the young lady to tell him who to recruit and it cost him his job.. I might be wrong about this but I really do suspect it. I tried to engage this lady in conversation with eMails and comments on her column, but she never would reply.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    LSUDad likes this.
  9. dudley

dudley oops!

Well, apparently now I can post. I tried to reply to BRETT but couldn't, then tried to change my signature but couldn't. I don't know?
    Windows 8.1 and Chrome do not work well together. I know that. Let's see if this works.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think the other guy was a better coach.
    Ron Cooper by leaps and bounds.