Cornerback Depth/Recruiting

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Bandit88, Dec 22, 2009.

1. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

Sean Smith, currently on the dolphins, is 6'4 and plays conerback wouldn't be surprised to see Simon there at all

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Nothing happened to them. I've just noticed that Brooks, Bryant, B. Taylor and Hatcher seem more like safeties/nickel/dime backs. J. Taylor is still an unknown to me, and I have heard great things about St Julien, but again - in terms of his ability to play safety.

I guess when I started this thread, I was thinking in terms of pure CBs, or at least guys who were being groomed for that one position.

I've grown to appreciate just how critical good CBs are. I think it's probably the most difficult and crucial position on the defensive side of the football, especially against the kind of offenses being run now in college.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I hate to say it but its not a question of "If" with Peterson leaving next year early.
    He will be a round 1 pick next year. A lock down corner is hard to find.

Its not if but when.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Simon is a freak haha.

5. deuce985

deuce985 Founding Member

This is not the norm and is incredibly rare...

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I agree with you, I think Claiborne and Mathieu will hold down the positions for a while with some other guys being strong contributors. But you are right I think we need one more pure CB, in this class or the next. Not a hybrid guy.

7. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Ok, I was just pointing out that they were recruited as cornerbacks. B. Taylor, Hatcher and Brooks moved to s. safety, so they could see the field or maybe they weren't going to make it at corner in the SEC. St Julien and Bryant, haven't heard much about them, although they were top 25 cb's coming out of hs.
    I see the dilemma also, but Peterson's don't come every year. Just saying, prospects this year may not be as good as we already have.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

FYI, Simon played mostly CB as a Soph and in his junior year he played mostly CB and WR, RB, QB etc...Pretty much the same in his senior year but more safety mixed in because of a need on his team.

If he can get it done it doesn't really matter where he played in HS but most of his experience in HS is at CB.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Im not really worried about the depth, but more of the development of the depth, everybody cant be Peterson. However, Claiborne and Maitheu will be legitimate. Probably not as good as Peterson, but SEC caliber players.

I cant forget about Vinson, I think he will be another good one.

10. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Claiborne may start at corner next year. He may not be as good as Peterson.. but the only other corner even comparable to Peterson right now is Joe Haden.

Our secondary is going to be a strength for at least a few more years :wave: Loston will be on the field next season somewhere too.