Cosmos... A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 29, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The bible is an amazing document. It contains some eloquent language and is an impressive literary work of prose and poetry. It chronicles the history of a people from their earliest oral traditions and later through some of our most ancient writings and on into the historic era. It contains the essence of the Judeo-Christian ethic that accelerated the rise of Western Civilization.

It is a book that everyone should own and read. It is valuable in many ways. But it must be understood to be largely parabolic and written by Men of philosophy and theology. The Bible is only an anathema to modern science and logic if the user insists that it is the Word of God and unerringly accurate.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Absolutely right Red. It is allegory and in fact the creation story seems to me to be the best description of the big bang and evolution of any of the other creation myths. That doesn't make it anything more than a myth AND one that is being misread and/or miss used by modern "creationists"!

red55 likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So have any of y'all checked this series out or what?

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Yeah...I find it disappointing with too little detail and too much artifice.

tigermark and red55 like this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I just finished watching, "The Inexplicable Universe", it's in lecture format, but Dr Tyson is very interesting and is especially good at explaining concepts,.. backed up with plenty of graphics. I thought it was a fine series.

It inspired me to start watching, "How the Universe Works", I've only watched the first two episodes, but it probably is the better, with great computer graphics, and is more detailed and factual. Stream both on Netflix, "The Inexplicable Universe" is chopped up, but watchable on youtube

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yes, I enjoy those lectures by Dr. Tyson on The Inexplicable Universe.

@Winston1 you should try Wonders of the Universe which is or was a BBC series. A lot less cartoony.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Thanks I will

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Here is what I can never understand. If you will concede that someone wrote down the book of Genesis, and it was written down, finally, based on countless generations of stories being passed along.

Then they did a helluva a job in getting it right!

Sure it does not reflect technology and understanding 10,000 years later, but damn, ask many of today's illiterates, hell, ask many college graduates about the origins of the universe and they won't come as close.

It is sad that so many insist that Genesis is a second by second chronological narrative, accurate in every detail. They should be celebrating how people of faith did a damn fine job, with NO TECHNOLOGY to speak of.

I mean, if could have been "The great stork shit" or something like that.

This "fight," creationism vs reality....erhhh....science is the biggest non-event in the history of the universe. Morons on both sides continue it to NO ONE'S BENEFIT!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Getting what right? Sure they documented a previously oral tradition and did a good job of it. But Genesis is wrong on facts and right on mythology. Genesis should be taught in social studies and cherished for what it is, but not held up in science classrooms as a viable alternative to the scientific method.

How is it different from the creation myths of Greeks, Norse, or Native Americans?

Perhaps they don't teach creationism in North Carolina science classes, but they do in Louisiana. It's to everyones benefit that science remains science and social studies remain social studies. Teaching creationism as an "alternative" in a science class makes less sense than teaching that the earth is flat.

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Whoa, I am 100% against mixing "faith" and "science." I am astounded they teach creationism.

But, you missed my point

Clearly the "creation" in the Bible is a story, a myth, by definition. My only point is that of a million possibilities it is a lot closer to what actually happened than what many could have been. But it beats the poop out of the (Feathered Serpent) of native america.

One of the really good popular science writers, not Gould, I dont remember stated, Science should stick to science and faith should stick to faith and they should NEVER be commingled. Right on!

Folks get too emotional about this. This subject does not have to be a "brain turner offer."