Cosmos... A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 29, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Personally I like pantheism.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's not.

Science requires evidence. Religion requires faith. The two are diametrically opposed. You can't just accept religious dogma and build your life around it and then claim to follow the teachings that require evidence to substantiate. Religion is the inability to say "I don't know, but I'm not going to make up stories about it in order to calm my inner doubts about the world around me" so you rationalize silly stories to explain the unexplainable.

"Who started the big bang?"

Who knows? Who cares? Who says it's a "who"? We may never know, but it's not okay to start making shit up because of this desire to make sense of everything. Some questions will never be answered.

More than once in the Bible, Jesus was quoted as saying that his followers are either hot or cold towards him. He will reject those who are lukewarm. I can think of no position more lukewarm than clinging to religion while professing a belief in science. You can't have it both ways...

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I guess that's what I'm not seeing.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  4. red55

Egotheism for me.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

They are not diametrically opposed. They address different issues. Science is grounded in the physical and religion in the metaphysical. They are tools to explore and understand very different things. If there is a creator god similar to the one worshiped by most of humanity then he would be the author of all truth both scientific and religious.

6. red55

And if not . . . then nature would be the author of all things.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody for solipsism? Never mind. None of you really exist.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I believe in the Pompitous of Love. I want to whisper sweet words of epismetology in your ear

Winston1 and HalloweenRun like this.
  9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Red a fairly loose recitation of the first verses of Genesis and the scientific equivalent
    In the beginning the heavens were without form and God said let there be light....The Big Bang
    God separated the land from the sea...formation of the stars and planets and earth
    He created the animals then man ...evolution
    That is much closer than the Greek, Norse, Indian, Native American, Celtic creation myths. As Halloween said as a means to explain the evolution of the universe to a group of shepherds who barely have fire it is pretty good.

10. red55

Yeah I understand, but one must paint it with a really broad and allegorical brush . . . and ignore about 50 chapters of Genesis. I mean, the sun was made on the 4th day yet plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes. Then God created two magic trees: the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Eat from the first, and you live forever; eat from the second and you'll die the same day. Or that's what God said, anyway. Adam ate from the tree of knowledge and lived for another 930 years or so. Well, you know how it goes . . .

Close only counts in horseshoes and H-bombs, amigo. You can't enter Valhalla if your die with your sword close to your hand.

I suppose. I just don't think it is that far different from other creation myths. Most of them involve a God or Gods who create order out of chaos, establish nature and rules to live by, cleanse the earth with water, and anoint a chosen people.