Cost of War

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by fanatic, Jan 31, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

See link below for Cost of War per second. I always find these interesting, but I'm not sure how the site creators' ensure accuracy.

Cost of War

1 person likes this.
  2. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

In addition to money there are other costs that should be considered.

1) The cost of losing soldiers
    2) The cost on inaction

Freedom ain't free! :usaflagwa

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I really don't like these statements. It sounds like something some meat head wrestler would say to fire himself up for a fight.

To think we are any more free because we spend / take military action is nonsense. And in-fact one could argue we are much less free.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

:dis:

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

not all military action is created equal. its not productive to agree with it just because you are patriotic or your fav party was for it.

wrt iraq war, i dont see how someone can argue that it was worth the cost in $ or lives. in fact, you can argue that it was counterproductive in removing military and monetary resources from other goals and using immense political currency. granted, to a degree, some of this (perhaps) is in hindsight, but still, bad decision.

6. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

The fact we actually pay for and employ a military makes us less free than we otherwise would. Please explain that argument.

7. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Were you negatively impacted by it?

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Agreed
    While I may disagree with a decision to go to war I will still back the country and whoever is president.
    I am for my country winning and being successful.
    I believe the world is better off with the USA than without it.
    You know what, I agree 100% with this.
    I had a real rough time and supported Bush his first 4 years for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I still support the war in Afghanistan however it seems pointless to stay there especially with a timeline in place.
    Should withdraw immediately and come home.

Again, I am not so entrenched in my ways that I can't be convinced that I have been wrong at some point.
    I know I am being hard on Red in another thread but I will give him the credit for making me realize that the Iraq war wasn't a good idea.
    It remains to be seen whether or not Iraq was a total waste of lives, money and time.

One more thing,
    Let me take you back to when Bush took office.
    Remember the Chinese Incident, then we had Saddam put out a bounty on Bush 41?
    At that time I honestly wondered if his son would go after Saddam and I believe my first gut reaction was on the money.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

hard to quantify. probably. me and mine will have a larger tax burden or fewer benefits because of it. but no military family killed or wounded thankfully. certainly there has been an absence of successful terror attacks, but i'd argue that the iraq war contributed little to that fact.

what is "winning" and what is "successful"? this isnt a conventional war. certainly no one here wants the US to be harmed, but my argument is that the $, resources, and political capital could have been better used elsewhere.--debt, infrastructure, education, afghanistan, etc.

i do not accept the premise that "backing the country" means not questioning military actions in the face of rah-rah patriotism.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

The effects of our military presence creating blow back and the policies that come from war ie. Patriot Act. Not to mention the economic problems for funding limits resources.