Costas Now

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TigerBait3, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I dont know if anyone watched that piece on HBO tonight regarding the media but I found it pretty interesting. You would think it would come off as common sense to most but it seems as if Bob Costas is the only one that gets it.

Bob is a throwback these days which is pretty rare. Some dont like the guy but I cant seem to figure out why.

The segment will probably be replayed around the clock on HBO.

2. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

watching buzz nearly implode in his own conversation was both disturbing and somehow expected. Then again I don't know what i was expecting when i tuned into a discussion about the role of blogs in modern sports. it's not like he was gonna praise it as a "new age of media" and go skipping merrily along. what worries me most is that he is probably an indicator of how the rest of the "old media" guys feel.

Blogs have to seem like the wretched evil come to take their jobs; especially in the current climate of dwindling revenue and talent drain that papers are facing. I mean even the boston globe, long considered to be the marquee sports section of the east coast, is now a shell of its former self. Hell, they even bought out the remainder of their senior BBall writers contract right before the celtics started what may be their best post season in years.

ugh, so in case you missed it, blogs are mostly evil things written mostly by simple minded, non-edumacated, pranksters with filthy mouths.

P.S. if you saw it, I'd like to hear your opinion clair

1 person likes this.
  3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

the guy was just pissed he cant make a dime writing boring newspaper columns anymore.

blogs are like wal mart...people dont have to read or shop there. however, they are smarter than he is and made money easily...no matter how sleazy they are.

truth is, you will always have the core fan, but attracting the fringe viewers is more difficult to some than you would believe...such as espn putting on steven a. is it really that hard to figure out what they want?

they claimed espn knew how to attract them, but reality is they have the ability to throw a dozen of garbage programs at you until they find a nice spot in the middle, such as pti...which is opinionated, but they can slow it down at times.

how stupid are these shows creators?

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I suppose in some ways you could compare it to how actors feel about reality TV or CGI. Nothing to be done if fans like it.

People are looking to be entertained so most producers/creators have nothing to lose by throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. Look what happens after a movie is released. Nobody talks about if it's any good or not, just what was the box office?

I like Bob Costas.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

ok this was really interesting. the old dude lost all credibility with his rage and personal attacks. his anger is misguided however.

he should be mad at himself for resenting technology that bears new mediums instead of opposing it and learn to adapt.

blogs offer non-bias info immediately if wanted. not all are the same but newspapers arent all the same either. the fact their messages are veiled/hidden /affected by advertising dollars is just as bad and as misguided as blogs. not to mention untimely.

i like reading the paper every now and then but its for opinion not the news directly. the arrogance of the papers is what cost them by failing to adapt and now its too late.

things of note:

michael strahan is more intelligent than i previously thought.

maddog is a hypocrite. i suppose all shock jocks have to be in order to get guests?

braylon edwards sounds more like a financial exec than your typical wide receiver. i suppose thats why he was chosen to speak. he was very composed and intelligent as well.

i hate joe buck but the ballsdeep comment was hilarious. hes more witty than i gave him credit for. who knows maybe i can learn to like him,

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

oh and jay mariotti is still a faggot.

7. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Costas is great.

Blogs are fun. That's about it, but it's enough.

Elitist writers are finding out that they now have to compete. They no likey.

Friday Night Lights is a good book/TV show.

Ummmmm. Yeah, that's all I got...:grin: