Could Auburn have............

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Mar 9, 2005.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Never talk about Russell. I know you wanted him to go to AU bad. You have a red dot son. Thats NOT how you turn it green!

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Yes, i do think you'll be that bad, and it has less to do with me hating Auburn as it has to do with you guys losing a QB & 2 RB's. Where is the offense going to come from?

The other thing that is really remarkable coming from an Auburn fan (with your QB situation) is your comment about Russell. He was a RS frosh and he had his ups and downs, but he led us from behind against OSU & Iowa, and had spots where he looked good in other games. I repeat that he was a RS frosh. It is common and should be expected that he gets better this year. However, he hasn't proven anything to you yet but QB "X" on your team is going to be better? I have to put my money on Russell who has experience, who will probably, like most college QB's, improve between his first year of playing and his second. Jason Campbell is an exception - it took him 4 years to be decent. Russell also benefits from an experienced offensive squad including RB's who have actually dressed out for games. Who will run the ball for Auburn? Have they been issued their jerseys yet?

:crystal:
    :geauxtige

LSU!
    :champs:

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Took a green dot off his list today. It's time he was taken down a peg. :thumb:

5. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. AUHansel

AUHansel Founding Member

what did I ever do? not that I really care about the rep thing though.

the thing I said about Russell is that I haven't seen enough out of him YET. I know he is still young and I know he will get better. I didn't get to watch too many of your games this season, therefore I didn't get to see him play that much.

Now for Auburn, we are reloading pretty well. Brandon Cox will be our QB, and has an excellent arm. He doesn't have much experience so that is the main thing I am worried about with him. We have 3 very talented RB's to step up in the backfield. Tre Smith, whom yall know about, is very fast and has had good games in the past but was hurt this past season. Kenny Irons is a transfer from South Carolina. He looked really awesome in our A-Day game last spring but had to sit out a year after transfering. I think he's gonna be really good. Then we have Carl Stewart, who did play some this season and will have a significant amount of playing time. I haven't been able to go to any of our practices yet this spring so I'm not sure how they are doing. We also return basically all of our receivers. Courtney Taylor has been great, and will be our go-to-guy. We also return Obomanu, Aromashodu, and Mix. We will have one of the best receiver corps in the conference. In other words, we'll be fine. We have very good talent and yall will see it next season.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Look, OVD is known for being controversial and stirring up trouble, don't let him push your buttons. Auburn lost a couple of top running backs that are irreplaceable, but there are people that can play there, at most positions.

Most of us think Auburn returns enough talent to contend in the West. The big question mark is quarterback. AU fans underestimate the drop-off a new QB produces. We found that out last year.

Auburn wins 8 games easy, possible 9 or 10 with the right breaks, possible 7 with the wrong ones.

8. AUHansel

AUHansel Founding Member

I love how you're big drop off at QB was only 2 losses(yes two, there was nothing your QB could do at the end of the Iowa game) compared to one loss the year before.

9. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Agreed about OVD, he's just smacking the usual stuff :hihi: .....but I'll disagree slightly with AU hansel, in that Cox does not have a "great" arm, but he does have a textbook release, he's left-handed, and highly accurate. Cox makes good decisions but has not had enough live snaps to make me feel that Auburn can avoid a couple of losses. Cox must learn what most rookie QB's learn the hard way.....you can't force throws against quality defenses.
    The throws he got away with in HS will result in Losses in the SEC, that is, if he doesn't learn to avoid them under Borge's tutilege.

The key game for AU this season will be the opener against Georgia Tech. If Cox can use the talent around him and avoid critical mistakes, then Auburn's defense will carry the day in Jordan-Hare.

Auburn will likely be 6-0 when it meets LSU - with wins against GT, MSU, Ball State, So. Miss, USC, and Arky (off week befor Arky). The only question in my mind is whether they will have "gelled" enough by then to handle a more experienced LSU squad. AU has a great deal of depth at most positions, especially defensively.

The two big climbs will be the away games against LSU and UGA, and of course Bama is always tough.

It's early, so take my prediction with a grain of salt, but I see AU no worse than a 9-2 team and an opponent that will give LSU a formidable test.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't blame Auburn for feeling the way they do. Most of us we're predicting 8-3 or 9-2 for LSU this time last year. The thing is, we came very very close to losing a few other games that we all expected to win easily. LSU got some good breaks and some bad breaks - the season could have easily been 12-1 or 5-6.

Auburn fans are overlooking their losses, just as LSU fans did, and over exagerating their strenghths. LSU could have never seen our only experienced WR being injurred and our All-American pre season hype running back Justin Vincet becoming third string.

I expect Auburn to give us a good game but our experience should allow us to come through fairly easily.