Could Auburn have............

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Tuberville Wins

Tuberville Wins Freshman

I think it is possible Auburn will go undefeated again. Auburn's schedule doesn't have any killer games on it. Everyone is very beatable. If Auburn is an underdog in any of their games next season, they won't be by much. I say Auburn most likely will go 10-1 or 9-2.

People have mentioned the change in QB's, however Brandon Cox is a good young QB. At RB Auburn loses 2 great players, but that gives some other players a chance to shine now. None of them will be as good as CW or RB however, the 2005 RBs will have a much better OL blocking for them. All our WR and TE are back as well. Also, Al Borges is the OC and he seems to be good at coming up with game plans.

On defense, Auburn is solid. There has been an infusion of talent into the secondary to replace Carlos Rodgers and Junior Rosengreen. We will have more depth in the secondary. Our DL looks to be strong with great players at both DE positions, featuring 2 SEC sack leaders, neither being full-time starters last year. At LB Auburn will be really good. We're returning everyone.

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

[​IMG]

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Let me translate: "We are losing a sh!tload of talent at most key positions and they are being replaced with inexperienced newcomers."

Silly Auburn Fan. :dis: :dis:

4. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

No way. Did a little research. I checked out all the undefeated teams since the 1966 season. I limited to 66 because I could identify the candidates very quickly using data that I have. I didn't care about untied, since who knows if they would have finished undefeated if tie-breakers were available. The top 3 worst teams follow:
    1. The 1999 Tulane team finished 3-8-0 after their 12-0-0 1998 season.
    2. The 1967 Michigan State team finished 3-7-0 after the 9-0-1 1966 season. The tie was the infamous 10-10 game with ND. The 66 team had 4 players taken in the first 8 picks of the 1967 draft. They also didn't play in a bowl game, because they went to the Rose Bowl the previous year. I don't think in those days you could go in successive years and they couldn't go to other bowls either.
    3. The 1976 Arizona State team finished 4-7-0 after the 12-0-0 1975 season. The 75 team had a couple of #1 picks and a couple of late round picks (they wouldn't be drafted in today's draft). ASU was in the WAC back then.
    Now Auburn could have the worst record after an undefeated season that a SEC team has had. Four schools have had undefeated seasons since 1966: Alabama (66, 79, 92); Auburn (93, 04); Georgia (80); Tennessee (98). The worst following season record is a very respectable 9-3-1 by the 93 Alabama team followed by 9-3-0 Tennessee in 99. If they matched it, I wouldn't call a record equal to ours this year a bad year.

5. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Possible? Yes. Will it happen? Very unlikely

Undefeated seasons in the SEC are INCREDIBLY hard to come by. You have to have an extraordinary team, you have to catch the breaks, and the stars have to align.

Alabama did it in '93, Tenneseee did it in '98, and we did it in '04. That doesn't exactly scream out that we should look for another one anytime soon.

Also, we lose a ton of players, LSU will be favored in the West as they should be, but that doesn't mean we won't give them a game. But we lose too much talent to expect to go undefeated again.

All you needed to do was be around these forums this time last year. All the LSU fans were talking about how they were starting a dynasty and would roll through the SEC this past year. Guess what? It didnt happen! It's so hard to do. We don't want to look like they did in 2004. They had a great year last year, and fans were upset.

I don't want us to go 9-3 next year and fans to be upset with it. We are losing a lot of talent. I think we will have 8-9-10 wins depending on our QB play. I hope fans don't look for another 13 win season just yet.

So just because we had a perfect season last year, and just because LSU won a National Championship last year, doesn't mean either schools fan bases should expect another one anytime soon. It would be awesome, and it is very possible for each school to do it again in the near future. But I think each school should calm down and realize how hard it is to do, and just cheer for the West, and SEC championship.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I know you don't know it, chum, but you've gone round the bend. Don't drink the Kool-aid when they offer it to you.

Auburn could go 10-1 or 9-2, but 8-3 is more likely. There are at least three teams that AU will be an underdog against and they will likely lose all three. No killer games? Sure you have the regular patsies at home, Ball state and Western Kentucky, but how about LSU in Baton Rouge or Georgia in Athens!

Only a blind homer would predict Auburn will go undefeated again.

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Auburn won't have 1/3rd the talent at RB they had last year nor a QB at all.

Good arm? Almost every QB in the SEC has a "great arm"....means nothing.

8. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Incredible research IT. So the answer is yes. Auburn could have the worst record for a team coming off of an undefeated year. I like the sound of that!

9. Tuberville Wins

Tuberville Wins Freshman

Auburn only needs a warm body to run through the holes our OL will make this year. As far as QB, Brandon Cox had a great QB rating this past year. I think it was 160+.

Edit: I did some research and found out his QB rating was 180.0 last year. That's good enough to have the #1 QB rating in the country if he would have thrown enough passes to be elligible.

10. JKIII

JKIII Founding Member

True...And Russell possibly has thrown 50 conseutive touchdown passes...They were in practice and don't count. The law of averages(and The Tiger D) will destroy his consistency...what little there has been seen of him as a starter last year.